Castlemaine Victoria area information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been planning on heading over to the water wheel on my next trek to the golden triangle, I'd be interested to know if it's been a hard hit area myself!

I found some decent gold panning at Slaty creek closer to creswick, not too far from Castlemaine.

Hey guys,
I've just spent my second day in Castlemaine with no luck! I've been mostly around Campbell's Creek but all I'm getting is "fuggets"
Any advice would be great, I'm still really new to detecting

hi there i would think you need to be looking for the hard to hear targets slow down your sweep speed , most surface sounds will be loud and wont be gold so clean them off and use a magnet to remove iron related junk , dig every sound and most gold will be a softer sound ,unless it is big and when the sound is still there after cleaning off the surface then you got a chance
good luck
Ron

Thanks ron, that gives us hope!

Hey john, we're using an xtetra 705 with dd coil.

We're curious too how deep into the bush you generally need to go or have you had luch by the roads? And what about old mines-much luck there?

:)

goldengal said:
Thanks ron, that gives us hope!

We're curious too how deep into the bush you generally need to go or have you had luch by the roads? And what about old mines-much luck there?

:)

Last time I was there I picked up 3 pieces in the first digging right next to poverty gully track.

A lot of Castlemaine was hydraulic sluiced in the 1860s much gold has come of these spots over the years with detectors. I do not no much about the xterra 705 but I believe they have good discriminators on them, so use them to your advantage spots where other detector operator have just walk away from because of the rubbish. Some of the heaps will turn up specimens but you will have to dig all targets if you look where the old timers found gold you are in the right spot to start it may be near roads or in the bush ,keep the coil close to the ground and dig all targets regards john :)

705 will find gold if it's a sun baker. Personally I think you'd be wasting your time with that machine if you want gold. Good for relics and coins though

Thanks for the tips guys, sadly I came home last night with nothing more exciting than a few cans and other odd bits of metal.
I'm still hopeful and looking forward to my first find!

Aftenoon guys. Had a bit of a hit out at/near waterwheel a few months ago. Nothing exciting there. Even in midwinter this area is vary dry. No yellow, but lots of historical interest. About 5km's NE of there are some quite deep, narrow trenches - up to 30m deep. 10m wide & 1k long. 4wd track to get there. A few cars visible at bottom of trench. Ran out of time to explore.

Creeks S of Pirenees Hwy between Castle Hill and Castlemaine are quite productive, but you have to work hard. Only 5 -10 colours per bucket- most pinpoint size and quite weathered (thin). Not much water, just a few scattered pools. I persevere due to proximity to home - convenient for travel with very limited time availability and the fact I never go home without at least a few specs. Just enough to keep me coming back. Still - over 6 months, still not enough to get the new MXT7000.

HI All , I'm new to this forum and looking for some advice. I have two teenagers that are interested in river panning for Gold. We are heading to Castlemaine Victoria this weekend and would love to know a great spot, somewhere a little off the main track (4WD access) with fire sites for BBQ. TIA. Sammy B.

Chuky boy said:
Hi all, im headed up to castlemaine for the weekend. Any recommendations where I can find a 15g+ nugget?

:lol: :lol: :lol: 15g+ I've got heaps of work on but now I'm gunna follow this topic :Y: can't help you chucky boy but I might see you tomorrow ]:D.

RM Outback said:
Chuky boy said:
Hi all, im headed up to castlemaine for the weekend. Any recommendations where I can find a 15g+ nugget?

:lol: :lol: :lol: 15g+ I've got heaps of work on but now I'm gunna follow this topic :Y: can't help you chucky boy but I might see you tomorrow ]:D.

Thanks RM. But seriously ? where da 15g+ at???