How to spot a fake Minelab GPX 5000

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
seems that the dodgy GPX 5000's are still coming out of China. Just came across this advertisement (DHgate.com is a fairly well known online mass market/wholesale warehouse operation)
BUYER BEWARE!
1533729647_cheap_chinese_gpx5000.jpg

https://au.dhgate.com/product/whole...MI6K2W3bHd3AIV1AoqCh3VmgWSEAYYASABEgJYRvD_BwE

HAHAHAHA IF ONLY WE COULD BUY A GPX5000 FOR $800 !!! :eek:

Does it come with a harness?
I would like a harness and a shaft!
Just a handle and ground balance button costs $130.
Control box to battery box lead $60.
For the effort that goes into putting the thing together you would think it would be better than "kinda works"!
Looks like good value for SPARE PARTS!
Matt T

Ship of fools said:
Does it come with a harness?
I would like a harness and a shaft!
Just a handle and ground balance button costs $130.
Control box to battery box lead $60.
For the effort that goes into putting the thing together you would think it would be better than "kinda works"!
Looks like good value for SPARE PARTS!
Matt T

That's what I thought. Am wondering how good or bad the battery is!
parts like the LCD screen are possibly much the same as the genuine bit. could be a handy box of shiits n bits

I was looking for a Goldmonster for my daughter as she loves detecting tho has trouble with my old 2200 with a 14 coil attached.
So browsing eBay and saw a goldmonster with a starting bid of 500. I emailed seller for receipts.more photos ect.. No reply.
Next thing an update with the add listing stating
' comes in original box 2 coils.'

Watch out guys seems fake to me. :(

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com.au/ulk/itm/132827079478

Skip said:
I was looking for a Goldmonster for my daughter as she loves detecting tho has trouble with my old 2200 with a 14 coil attached.
So browsing eBay and saw a goldmonster with a starting bid of 500. I emailed seller for receipts.more photos ect.. No reply.
Next thing an update with the add listing stating
' comes in original box 2 coils.'

Watch out guys seems fake to me. :(

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com.au/ulk/itm/132827079478

The photo in the listing is a generic picture, definitely one to be wary of.

Anyone looking at buying a GPX5000 or 4500 second hand or for a bargain, here's a good summary of things to keep in mind:

1. If you see a deal too good to be true, it is probably worth being very cautious

2. Getting a serial number off the seller and checking with Minelab will only tell you that particular serial number did come off a legit machine......but you still cannot guarantee that that will be the detector you will receive. Serial numbers can easily be copied, or fake photos etc

3. If the buyer has shared some photos with you, get a second opinion from other forum members, your Minelab agent or Minelab service. Some fakes are very easy to spot, but only if you know what to look for. In Post 144 above, the font is wrong, blue colour on the control decal is wrong, Auto Tune button is wrong. It also says Auto Tone!

4. Any genuine seller will be more than happy to provide whatever info on the machine a prospective buyer requests, to the best of their knowledge.

:pickshovel: :Y:

Great info. Much appreciated I'm sure by many, myself included.
I'm thinking about getting a second hand 5000 but have been waiting for the right sale to come along... Well that and Christmas always leaves holes in your pocket.

I've made a few enquiries and asking some questions the members here have pointed out. Thanks guys helped me alot.

EVIE/BEE said:
I know this is an old thread but have a look at this. They are hesitant to call it 'Minelab' in the advert.

GPX5000 for $1089 and 12.6 volts to boot.
I thought the 12.6 volt transmission was illegal in that it interfered with aviation navigation??? I'm asking the mods to report this one to Minelab.
Take care everyone.

http://www.wholesaleplusltd.com/Pro...y-and-User-defined-ModeMTD-149733_p_930.html#
Hi Evie,
I believe you've done the right thing on this one..... certainly gives the appearance of being a knock off.
For info, the 12.6V being referred to is the battery voltage, not much different to a car battery and wont interfere with Aviation navigational equipment. (40 years as a tech on ground based comms & navigation equipment)

Regards
Terry

bicter said:
EVIE/BEE said:
I know this is an old thread but have a look at this. They are hesitant to call it 'Minelab' in the advert.

I thought the 12.6 volt transmission was illegal in that it interfered with aviation navigation??? I'm asking the mods to report this one to Minelab.
Take care everyone.

http://www.wholesaleplusltd.com/Pro...y-and-User-defined-ModeMTD-149733_p_930.html#
Hi Evie,
I believe you've done the right thing on this one..... certainly gives the appearance of being a knock off.
For info, the 12.6V being referred to is the battery voltage, not much different to a car battery and wont interfere with Aviation navigational equipment. (40 years as a tech on ground based comms & navigation equipment)

Regards
Terry
Thanks for that Terry,
Can you clarify for everyone whether or not the original pulse induction detector released by Bruce Candy in the 1990's which was 12 volts, did in fact interfere with aviation navigation?

Evie/Bee, there are rumours floating around regarding interference, but its not to do with the specific voltage, but rather the impulse frequency & total power of transmission. Ive havent come across any papers or research data that backs that story up.
curiously, under the 4th image of the detector there is a text line "Made in China"!

EVIE/BEE said:
bicter said:
EVIE/BEE said:

Take care everyone.

Hi Evie,

Regards
Terry
Thanks for that Terry,
Can you clarify for everyone whether or not the original pulse induction detector released by Bruce Candy in the 1990's which was 12 volts, did in fact interfere with aviation navigation?
Evie,
Not that I'm aware of.

Most ground based navaids are transmit only.
When you consider that all signals are attenuated at the inverse square ratio, ie double the distance causes a reduction of 25% signal strength, the detector would need to be quite close to have an effect.
On the aircraft side, I don't have any knowledge of them causing issues either. Also the detectors would have passed EMI/RFI testing to meet Australian requirements before they were allowed to be sold in Australia. This approval testing has now morphed into C-Tick approvals.

The curious thing is are the Chinese in breach of the patents? If they improve or enhance the function of the patented item then they own it. The Chinese are not stupid.
If anyone wants to spend $1089 to find out how good they are let us know. :bomb: :bomb: :bomb:

It is well known that they are in breach of copyright, but they dont care .. its China, and Minelab know about it.
Some machines have apparently had little more than a VLF guts in it.
Search this forum EvieBee. This topic is well covered

I concede DED DRIVER, the topic has been well covered...however for the benefit of a lot of newbies out there we should give the topic maximum prominence.
Newbies are increasing in number every day.
We can only warn them.