Camping in the Golden Triangle Vic information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After recently purchasing my first detector, an X-Terra 705, im pretty keen to head out and see what i can find.
Im aware that its not the best gold detector, but im still pretty keen to head out and try my luck with the gold.
Im located in Broadford, which is only about an hour from Bendigo.
Ive been given access to an old mining area near where i am, but id love to head into the triangle and camp for a few days and go detecting.
The only problem is i dont know where to start.
I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction (without giving away favorite spots).
Im just looking for somewhere i can roll out a swag, collect some firewood and detect during the day.
Would love to hear from anyone who could point me in the right direction.
Cheers guys

Soo many places if you get down to ballarat go into aussie disposals get yourself a local prospecting map and ask tye young fella in there where you can roll a swag and pick up a few bits. Otherwise cant go past creswick state park mate three camp areas to chooose from heaps of fellow prospectors to chat with.

The whipstick here has been a source of nuggets since day dot. I'm not sure how the xterra will go but you never know, I say this only because of it's popularity. Make sure if you come local to chuck in any other gear you have (or if you go anywhere else) so you can still grab some yellow. Steering you in the right direction is a tough ask, vlf, new user in a new location, not that I'm being a may sayer, more the odds are unfavourable. I could have sworn I read something about a mine down there and correct me if I'm wrong but there's a place nearby reedy creek I think that has alluvial gold in it?

There's quite a few areas out in the whip sticks dd territory for
The x mate .but plenty diggings .camping areas are really good
Go to DPI website and look up camping whip sticks .can always
show you a couple of areas I'm not greedy plenty gold for everyone
And plenty of spots to go .Dr :)

Going away for a week or two to clear to head any good campspots Around Dunolly area

Any help would be great if you out they now I come and say gday

Yeah Waanyarra is a great place. Took my now wife there 17 years ago, the 1st night I called the getting to know ya party and the 2nd night the aren't ya glad ya know me party :lol: still married. It's a great place all the same.

Also the Tarnagulla Oval - no longer used for sports. Has a live in Caretaker, town water, toilets, and a coin op shower. Tarnagulla has a pub and a PO with a small store, no fuel.

But only 10-15 min to Dunolly or less than 30 min to Maryborough or 5 min to Newbridge which also has a pub and a store.

PS the Tarny water is 1 tap near the caretaker, requires jerries to take to your camper or van.

Hi All

just a line or so to let you know that I used Youcamp to find a few places to hole up during my trip around Vic when I didn't free camp or visit c'van parks. These are close by to goldfields. I liked them because they offered me a lower cost accommodation for my caravan with security that private property offers. I was travelling alone and with a ute load of gear. It's great to be able to leave stuff behind if I "went out". Attractive items were still chained up. All was good.
The three locations I recommend are Buffalo River Retreat (out of Myrtleford), Horsingaround at Maryborough, and Antiques Roadhouse at Eddington.

Cheers

Yeah great report Ron :Y: on the Youcamp options as an alternative. Never used them but will definitely check them out as options in future.

Im a newby and thinking about coming and spending a couple of days (weather permitting) around Bendigo-heathcote area, dont have a caravan , was just going to pitch a tent , does anyone know what amenities are suitable for a tent , toilet etc, thanks Jim

I have just bought a 2nd hand Ultimate Camper and now I'm self sufficient want to know if there is any problem with camping on some or most of the gold fields in Victoria as I'm not keen on leaving my camper behind with my all important coffee espresso machine. :cool:

Or is there a frown on camping on gold fields :/

go for it there are a few spots that you cannot detect around Maryborough ,Bendigo and Castlemaine so I think camping may not be allowed in these spots. Other on the forum will be able to help regards john :)

Gday stufire_smokey,
Your allowed to bush camp in State Parks and State Forrests but you will need to check where you can prospect.
Some areas are off limits.
Such as designated historical gold sites etc.
But check it out on the Parks Victoria site and then go for it.
Cheers Steve

Latest posts