Gold prospect?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I tried some backyard prospecting and ended up with this within a couple of shovel loads..
I know it's not all gold because larger pieces crumbled between my fingers, and some flakes floated in the pan.
Question is could there be gold mixed in there?
1533270944_received_10160613477370591.jpg

If your house is built ontop of a known gold field its very possible..
TBH its is very hard to make an educated guess at the right answer to your question with limited knowledge..
If you pan the contents and wash away ALL of the lightest material , what should be left is gold which is 19 times More dence than the water or any other material...

Thanks for your reply,

Our house is built on top of a man made hill... Not sure where the sand came from..
I'm in japan, and started getting excited when I saw black sand.
Was just wondering if the highlighted flakes seemed more rounded than pyrite..

Thanks again
D

nucopia said:
If what should be left is gold which is 19 times More dence than the water or any other material...
Thanks.. Will have to get back out there :)

Dreco said:
So I tried some backyard prospecting and ended up with this within a couple of shovel loads..
I know it's not all gold because larger pieces crumbled between my fingers, and some flakes floated in the pan.
Question is could there be gold mixed in there?
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...230/1533270944_received_10160613477370591.jpg
I could give you a definite answer if the photo was in focus :) My guess is that you are in an area of granite rock, and your soil (or streeam sediment) is loaded with weathered biotite mica flakes which retain their crystal shape, but which change from black to golden during weathering (but not the true colour of gold, not an intense enough colour for most gold). Thin flakes will float - gold flakes that size will not float. If gold you are damned lucky - but I doubt it with the colour and all the crystal shapes and some floating despite their size (gold that floats is like Keens mustard powder, anything larger breaks the surface tension of the water and sinks - the ability to float is a function of density - SG - shape and size)! Pyrite is the least likely, as it weathers to iron oxides (limonite) before it ever weathers out of the rock into the soil, and would certainly not retain its shape in soil - not a single grain would - much less survive long enough to go from soil into streams.

Latest posts