Coin Shooting Fresh Water X-Terra 705

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
New at metal detecting, had my machine about 3 weeks, I have been coin shooting at my local fresh water beaches and got about 10 dollars in mainly silver, 50 sinkers and 100 or more pop tops, bottle caps etc ,
I have a X-terra 705 and I love it , Ive been Gb , noise cancel and today been fiddling with sensitivity, yesterday I had it on 21 and was working a treat, today I started getting what I call ghost signals, wave the ground and get a signal and cant find anything, I worked out about 18 sens is about right , my question is should I ground balance with beach mode as its not salty water , any ideas , thoughts??

Give it a try anyway (that way you learn those controls)
And sandy beaches (even fresh water ones) could still be sporting minerals traveling along the river length towards the old briny.... thus the machine giving falsies at 21. ;)
not that I'd know at all :lol:

Thanks silver, as I said Im a newbie so any advice is good, any idea how to clean up my finds .?
I was thinking steel wool but Im thinking its going to get old very quickly, lol .

Well mate I would just press ground balance for 3 seconds...it will Auto balance...set sensitivity at about 15-18..FOR GOLD i HAVE BEEN USING ABOUT 25.!but you are going ok I'd say...a lot to learn with mine as well but whatever conditions you come across your bound to be effected by various mineral variation so I'd say ground balancing 's a must mate...have to get my head a little further into the the flam'in manual I think!...look up the detecting threads here mate ...sure to have the answers yer lookin for! :Y: :Y: :p ...just keep plugg'in away mate...I haven't pulled a nugget yet but I'm snagging the odd bit o' lead...old lipstick case thingo.. and a few bits o' wire :lol: :lol: best o' luck with it! :Y:

Rattail-1927 said:
Thanks silver, as I said Im a newbie so any advice is good, any idea how to clean up my finds .?
I was thinking steel wool but Im thinking its going to get old very quickly, lol .
few of our members use tumblers for cleanup when it comes to spendables if they need it at all. Search icon is your goto for concise info if it's not forthcoming.

I also have the 705 and have been detecting for about 6 months, mainly on salt water beaches, which are a great place to learn. The 705 definitely struggles on the wet sand though.

I suspect you would still do better to have the machine running in beach mode and leave tracking on. A fresh water beach is still likely to have more in common with sand in salt water beaches than soil in a park. The tracking function ensures that the ground balance is continually adjusting as you move across different ground, but youll still need to adjust the sensitivity as you shift between the wet (back off sensitivity) and dry zones (up the sensitivity).

Not sure whether to use auto tracking, I read in the manual if you are trying to get a target smack on center it says it will balance the target out .... and u will lose it.

I was worried about that too, but in practice I've found it just doesn't happen, at least on the beach. Give it a try on your next target. They recommend you switch tracking off when you find a target but when you enter pinpoint mode, it's automatically switched off anyway. Ground balance and sensitivity are the two most important settings so worth playing around with these 705 settings.

I have used my 705 with auto tracking on all the time on the beach or field I have never lost a target best machine on the market for the price noise cancel and ground balance once and your good for the day leave auto tracking on

Thanks guys ! How important is threshold, its one thing I havent tried altering yet , I dont have headphones and I can hear the low pitched hum and when it goes quiet moving over a unwanted target so Im gathering its ok ??

If you can just hear the threshold you're about the right level. Headphones (I prefer ear buds) do help. I always hunt in all metal mode on the beach as there's generally not an overload of targets and it's easy to dig. I just like to hear everything at this stage, including the iron.

One of the best things I've found is to read the manual and Randy's ebook again and again, then make a few notes after each hunt. It spurs new thoughts and things to try, and that info takes on new meaning, especially as the 705 has so many features. No-one knows everything, all part of the fun!

Yeah Im using discrimination (1) unless I get a blip the I toggle to all metal, havent got headphones yet but I got earbuds and an adapter but the earbuds dont reach ... lol , I havent found any jewellery yet but it just loves coins, deepest coin about 8-9 inches , I cant wait to get on a sea beach even if I only get coins , any of u guys do any park shooting ?
Id love to do some but Im wondering it digging plugs and of course cleaning up after myself will draw the wrong kind of attention..... Im not game to Ask at the council either as I cant handle rejection.... haha .
Thoughts or experiences welcomed as we only have one beach and although I just keep finding coins even though Ive been over it about 3 times it just keeps giving!

Only use a screw driver so no plugs no complaints most people who approach me say good youre airrating the grass
Rattail-1927 said:
Yeah Im using discrimination (1) unless I get a blip the I toggle to all metal, havent got headphones yet but I got earbuds and an adapter but the earbuds dont reach ... lol , I havent found any jewellery yet but it just loves coins, deepest coin about 8-9 inches , I cant wait to get on a sea beach even if I only get coins , any of u guys do any park shooting ?
Id love to do some but Im wondering it digging plugs and of course cleaning up after myself will draw the wrong kind of attention..... Im not game to Ask at the council either as I cant handle rejection.... haha .
Thoughts or experiences welcomed as we only have one beach and although I just keep finding coins even though Ive been over it about 3 times it just keeps giving!

I'm just getting into parks now. It can be hard work compared to beaches, a lot of digging junk. But there can be more and certainly older coins and interesting relics. I prefer to keep a low profile hunting parks. Even though we all do the right thing, I'd rather not have to explain myself. There's a good section 'Digging techniques for sensitive areas' on this site.

Yes the Beach is good , getting practice finding targets, Im not sure if Ive had enough experience to use a screwdriver (i seem to dig a hole rather large) , I do pinpoint but I seem to be off .... lol.
I was talking to a guy walking his dog yesterday and he said the council runs a rotary hoe through the beach twice a year and thats probably why Im not finding anything old

Latest posts