Cleaning modern coins. Decimals.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a quick go with vinegar and salt, :rolleyes: used the wrong coin for that experiment took less than 10 minutes and now looks like it's been sandblasted 8.(
1479791912_fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff_001.jpg

1479791912_fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff_002.jpg

1479791912_fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff_003.jpg

1479791912_fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff_004.jpg

definatily cleans them though :rolleyes: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Experimentation is the way to go ,...... like putting liquid paper on a bee ! :p

Maybe less dip n more rub on a who cares coin for the experimentation ,.... if all fails you can just spend them away forevermore ! ;)

Just wondering what or how everyone cleans dirty and corroded coins / money so I can cash them or spend them , I thought about Steele wool but I think it will get old quickly, any help appreciated . !
I tried to upload pictures but I was told that it was too big...

Steel wool will damage the coins. Not a big issue for spendables but definitely not a option for the older coins. I have used Gumtion on a nappy wipe for the older coins but as youve said, it gets old quick.

Zorgs said:
Been doing a bit of testing and best bang for buck and minimal effort has been Hydrochloric acid so far. I tried some silver/gold/copper coins, took about 30 seconds in solution to clean all the black/dirt away.

I'd probably dilute it for a large lot and let it sit for a couple of minutes with a bit of agitation, then rinse with water.

Note it will slightly pit some coins. This is for clean and spend only, make sure the 20 isn't a florin! I guess composition changed some years because some of the same denomination coins are bright and some are dull!
I know this is a ancient thread but I read somewhere all Pre-Decimal coins are 50% silver and a fair bit of nickel, where as current silver coins are 75% copper and a bit of nickel and a few other small amounts different mixtures on top

Apologies if it's been covered before.

Upside said:
Although a little bit cheeky , I put all my dirty $1 and $2 coins in the local coke machine and press coin refund.

They come out spotless :D
Just like magic.Tada.

Latest posts