Cheap but good prospecting scoop

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ded Driver

WA is my backyard
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After previously forking out nearly $40 for 2 plastic prospecting/detecting scoops, I figured they are a bit overpriced for what they are, & should be able to find alternatives for around $10-$15
Whilst in my local Bunnings store in the gardening tools section I came across these;
'Fiskars' potting scoop, for $3.24 The info online says "Resistant to abrasion, repeated impacts, organic solvents, oil and petrol"
They are made of Nyglass, which I figure is glass (fibre) reinforced Nylon. I know from experience that engineering grade nylon is fairly tough stuff & its a fair bet that these aren't made using softer food grade nylon. They have quite a hard surface.
At this price you would have to wear out 6 or 7 to get to the price of 1 prospecting scoop!
Also pretty easy to cut down or modify 1 or both sides if a shallower scoop is wanted.
Note, that handle is an integral cast part & the junction is very strong. I put a bit of force on it & it didn't break.
I intend to give this tool a good try out on my September outing, so will see how well it goes then! Stay tuned :cool:
1532951913_fiskars_scoop_opt_image.jpg

I'd only use it as an alternative for me a flat based scoop is better for prosessing the spoil. Made one similar from a plastic wine glass (desperate times) and still have it my kit.

RM Outback said:
I'd only use it as an alternative for me a flat based scoop is better for prosessing the spoil. Made one similar from a plastic wine glass (desperate times) and still have it my kit.

Bjay put a pic up of a flat bottom dog food scoop under my other post (pointing back to here) under 'Metal Detecting For Gold'
After I was originally frustrated trying to find a viable cheaper alternative, I hope these threads help others with some ideas.

Keep em coming people 8)

Hi Ded,

I use the same scoop and although it it reasonably good, the enclosed shape tends to hold residual material after you tip it out. Its only a small issue but I am currently looking for one that is more open and does not hold the same depth of material. It can be quite a pain at times when trying to recover very small pieces of gold from this particular scoop.

Cheers

Les

Ive got the same scoop and cut the sides and top back with a grinder and1mm cutting disc to open the scoop up cheers Muk.

$2 for a good solid plastic garden scoop from reject shop does the job for me. Doesn't hurt as much either when you lose one out in the bush.

yeah they have been around for a while , have the scoop like that and the hand spade style one also.

people on evil-bay try and sell the exact same scoop spades in the prospecting sections for $20 or more .

goes to show someone throws the tag of " prospecting equipment " on something and then think they can charge the earth for it.

Gents - the recipe for efficient small gold recovery with the fiscars scoop is simple 8)

Crack open a beer, put the BBQ on, crack open another :party:

Drop a bit of foil on the hot plate and then heat the bottom of the scoop unit it is flat. Take off the heat and place the flat bottom on the concrete with pressure until cool.

Crack open another beer and admire the handy work :cool:

Wally69 said:
Gents - the recipe for efficient small gold recovery with the fiscars scoop is simple 8)

Crack open a beer, put the BBQ on, crack open another :party:

Drop a bit of foil on the hot plate and then heat the bottom of the scoop unit it is flat. Take off the heat and place the flat bottom on the concrete with pressure until cool.

Crack open another beer and admire the handy work :cool:

sounds like a plan Wally69. After I cut it down a bit the bottom doesn't look too bad for curvature, but I will give your suggestion a crack just to see what result I get. :Y:
hopefully no plastic in the steak ;)

Hi Guys,

thanks so much for the heads up on this one. After realizing I was risking getting bitten by critters, cut by junk, and my gloves and hands constantly ending up filthy, I decided to go online to buy myself a scoop. I know this can be an expensive hobby and you have to be prepared to fork out good money for purpose built quality products like decent detectors, coils and gear etc., but I just couldn't see the value in $30 - $40 (plus postage) for a piece of plastic that does nothing but hold dirt. I'm off to Bunnings now to grab myself a Fiskars to modify.

Thanks again, -Deepseeker :D

Latest posts