Minelab GPX4000 tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know the 4000 is an older detector but does any one have any tips or trick to use it
And is there any one in the Hunter valley that mite meet up and give me a run down on the best way to use the 4000
Thanks Roy

Hi guys,
Got hold of a 4000 for a while.
Heading out Sth of Castlemaine for a bit.
Can anyone please suggest the best coil for me to use.
Cheers,
Rhodes.

Ok so what coils do you have to choose from?

I would suggest a mono coil running with 'sensitive' timings and run factory presets as you learn the machine. Perhaps even pick up a small nugget to use as a test target to help you learn. It only needs to be about 1/2 gram.

The other thing would be to read the instruction booklet and watch youtube videos to help familiarize yourself with the machine.

If you want to understand more about the detector in general and how the settings work, here's a video I did a little while ago for our local PMAV branch.
[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/yeDqGlpKcu0[/video]

Great advice Pat & Harry thanks.
I am getting the machine this weekend , will let let you know what coils it has soon.
Thanks for the vid link as well Pat!
Kind Regards,
Rhodes.

So I found out it is a mono coil , not exactly sure what size thought yet.
I also watched your vid Pat will watch again and take some notes, followed a lot of it though. Very informative.
Pretty sure time out on the ground will be a big factor as well.
Cheers Rhodes.

Around Castlemaine a minelab 8 mono will do well but if the detector has a 11 mono only just use it until you get formilular with the detector . if its got a 11 DD then switch it into mono mode regards john :Y:

Yep, I'm with John, 11" Commander mono in Sens Smooth is going to run super stable. Will speed up your learning process.

Hi All.
Looking to sell my gpx4000.
Just wanting to know what they would be worth at the moment.
Any help would be great.
Cheers.

I always check Coiltek Gold Centre prices on their used detectors as a guide:
https://www.marybroughgoldcentre.com.au/pages/second-hand-detectors
They sell their detectors as a stock or close to stock package with some warranty (3 months I believe).
With that in mind a good condition stock package should get close to their price - GPX4000 $2000 - $2200.
If conditions a bit rough but the detector works fine then it will be less & if you have a lot of extras it will possibly be a bit more. Sometimes it's better to offer a stock package with a few extras as sweeteners & sell any higher priced extras off separately. You can get a few extra dollars for your gear that way IMO. Some people want the extras for nothing.

Yep, the Coiltek prices are a good indicator at the moment for standard packages, 1 or 2 standard coils:

Obviously condition and included extras, and whether the unit comes from a dealer with any warranty all play a part in final price.
But as with anything used, it is only worth what someone is willing to pay.

Latest posts