Minelab Equinox tips and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would be interesting to see if the 600 fitted with the new 6" coil will pick up tiny gold running in MultI as it will be utilizing the full 5 frequency range in Multi
Not interested in using mine for gold fields but would be good to see.

rockdev said:
Guys do you think the Equinox 800 with the 6 inch coil would be similar in performance to a GM 1000?

While I haven't done any side by sides yet, my money would probably be on the Monster with the 5" coil. But the Nox has a threshold and ability to switch off the ground balance going for it, so yes some interesting comparisons coming up for sure.

PhaseTech said:
rockdev said:
Guys do you think the Equinox 800 with the 6 inch coil would be similar in performance to a GM 1000?

While I haven't done any side by sides yet, my money would probably be on the Monster with the 5" coil. But the Nox has a threshold and ability to switch off the ground balance going for it, so yes some interesting comparisons coming up for sure.

Thanks Nenad, yes will be good to see some more tests alright. :Y: Thats a good video to watch to guys, thanks for posting very interesting indeed.

Here's a clip of a US prospector using the Equinox 800 over old spoil piles. Regardless of difference between mineralisation levels here and abroad, it does highlight the fact that the Equinox is indeed capable on what are some very small targets. His other clips show use of both the Equinox and GM1000 in action over the same area, his wife is using the GM1000. The fact that he is getting away with running default sensitivity might indicate how mineralised the ground is vs what is seen in the previously posted Oz clip.

[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/7gTC2ZOSmFs[/video]

Hi Folks,

Just scored my first bit of gold with the Equinox. Found in gold 1, sensitivity 17 and ground balance off. Target ID signal 4.
1532229429_d0b84594-9a53-4b73-afee-0d459a7b072f.jpg

A good, strong signal. The piece weighs about .1g and was down about 1.5. My daughter dug a small ( .05g) piece with the SDC. The NOX was able to see that small nugget in the ground before it was recovered. The SDC produced a clearer signal on that smaller bit. Unfortunately there was no more pieces to be found to continue the comparison between the machines. Pretty impressed with the 11 coil. Cant wait to try the smaller coil when it comes in. The machine was very quiet and handled the ground with ease. It will be interesting to see how it performs in heavily mineralised ground.

Cheers for now

Les

Fantastic effort Lesgold, you have got to be happy with the nox,
certainly gives me more confidence in the machine, printed out
a smaller version, envelope size of the instruction manual
to fit in my back pocket,put it in a old snoopy comic from
the op shop.
1532231464_imag4410_1.jpg

Well done Lesgold, fantastic mate thanks for sharing. I have the 6" on the way hoping to find a little myself. :Y:

Thanks guys. Pretty impressed with how well the 11 performed on the small gold. All ground covered with the NOX was checked with the SDC. Nothing missed as yet. I want to see how deep it will go on the small stuff. I reckon the SDC will win hands down (just guessing at this stage) and the 6 should have the machine screaming on the toddlers.

Cheers

Les

Auto correct is a pain. Sorry about that. Should proof read before submitting. I did have my grandkids down for the weekend. Perhaps if I had them swallow some nuggets.......Nah, Id have to deal with their mother. Not worth the pain and suffering.

6" round coils are extremely hot on tiny bits, even more so if they are a Concentric, And in ground like that it would work really well,

I bought my nox on Friday same thing the plastic bit with 2 very small screws is broken , I noticed this when unpacking it straight out of the zipped soft cover thingy , no chargers and you need 3 of them 2amp, not happy really.

Made in China aren't they :rolleyes: like the Equinox.

2 from 2 is bad though 8.(

Not having a shot I own the 600,I am sure it will get sorted.

Good luck time wise :Y:

I do not mind about a USB charger at all, I have a drawer full of them, outlets with them on, devices with USB ports for charging, etc etc.
Anything to cut the costs down, I am happy to avoid.
Plus it is one more item that the company would have to worry about warranty on, like the will have to with the headphones. So they went with cheaper units which will most likely be replaced rather then repaired.
The headphones are not top quality, they have to be handled with care, but do the job well. Unfortunately quality check will always miss the odd few, and generally come in batches if that is the case. Seems like the material on some is not stitched together correctly and when closed put extra stress on the plastic bracket. Definitely manufacturer fault.

I have folded my headphone quite a few times and nothing has broken. Guess mine was made on a Tuesday. :D

robmoto said:
I bought my nox on Friday same thing the plastic bit with 2 very small screws is broken , I noticed this when unpacking it straight out of the zipped soft cover thingy , no chargers and you need 3 of them 2amp, not happy really.

Yep,they don't clearly state you that you need to buy the charger yourself :rolleyes: piss poor really :N:

I got mine from J.B. Hifi for about $30.00 from memory.

Make sure you follow the instructions buying the correct one :Y:

Quite a bit on the US Forums about the brackets being broken before even being worn, I'm sure you won't have an issue with getting them replaced by Minelab though. Havent had an issue yet with mine, I'm just rapt to have true wireless.

Latest posts