Goldpick's 2018 Deus finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The rest of the finds from yesterday, a few buckles, remains of a "Herm Reinmann's Continental" bicycle lamp, Kosmos Brenner oil lamp parts, couple of large musket balls, and the usual button assortment. Not sure what the item is shown at the rear, something to do with kero/water - guessing some sort of tap, made in Melbourne.

1532258480_img_20180722_205843.jpg

Kosmos Brenner oil lamp winder, musket ball size comparison with a thrip (thrip found elsewhere)
1532258511_img_20180722_205948.jpg

Kosmos Brenner lamp
1532258593_downloadfile-1.jpg

Continental Bicyle lamp
1532258624_img_20180722_210028.jpg

Example of complete lamp
1532258673_downloadfile-2.jpg

1532258695_img_20180722_210101.jpg

Secret Squirrels said:
8 pre dec's V 5 moderns :rolleyes: looks like the moderns are becoming rarer. :lol: :p ;)

Yep, not many spendables in this park, doesn't get much use these days aside from the odd mow. Pretty much the same case for many country park areas, they simply don't get utilised like they did in years gone by, unlike in city areas.

It was ##$@** freezing tonight, felt like my gloves were frozen to my fingers but managed to soldier on for a decent number of predecs. Different site to the previous session, been here plenty of times before, but this time really slowing down to allow those fainter targets to filter through. Was really surprised at the result, probably my best night on silvers there compared to previous - lots of hp's missed too.

Time to thaw myself out. :cool:

1532546527_img_20180726_045626.jpg

1532546547_img_20180726_045800.jpg

Nice one GP :Y: that was certainly worth braving the cold for. :D I'm wondering if the HPs may have been lower TIDs and if that's why so many were originally overlooked? or were you just swinging too fast previously and not giving the machine enough time to lock a signal on them? Interesting.

Secret Squirrels said:
Nice one GP :Y: that was certainly worth braving the cold for. :D I'm wondering if the HPs may have been lower TIDs and if that's why so many were originally overlooked? or were you just swinging too fast previously and not giving the machine enough time to lock a signal on them? Interesting.

Most probably a combination of thngs - most were not very obvious targets, sometimes intermixed with other junk targets. Slowing my swing speed/gridding to a crawl tends to help clean up the signal with a few swings over the target to confirm. Truth is that it is quite a large area to detect, you could grid from several directions and still miss targets. I know for sure that I gridded a small section of ground pretty thoroughly in one direction, the came back over the same patch from a different direction and managed to pick out a few missed coins - I put that down to orientation of the coin in the ground and possible masking from the earlier direction..

I am not using TID's, just tones, so anything that produces a relatively uniform tone response when working around the target with the coil will have it being excavated. Sometimes you will have to employ pinpoint mode to check if two targets are in close proximity to each other if receiving only part good tone, iron and irregularly shape objects are usually pretty easy to pick out from their tone responses.

Just a bit of fun today running Version 5.0 software at yet another 1800's house site, one that has not provided much at all last few times there. Still wasn't the most exciting day out, though did manage a couple of targets amongst the sticks and junk roofing targets.

Initially I thought I had found a pocket watch cover, though turned out looking more like a bell, not really sure on its use. Once very deep low conductor turned out to be a yet another copper acorn, had previously found an even smaller one at another nearby site. Also liked the intricate broach, even if a little worse for wear - that was amongst a lot of buried broken glass, presumably a bottle/junk dump.

To show how bad the iron masking can be here, the door knob was only giving part good tone, hardly a good digger - that turned out to be only a couple of inches down. Makes you wonder what else might be buried at depth being totally masked. :)

1532700226_img_20180727_233342.jpg

1532700246_img_20180727_233431.jpg

I find it amazing GP that something so large could be so heavily masked, was it a big lump of iron next to the door knob or lots of small iron scattered around it? I'm sure there would have to be some good stuff there if you can get past the masking somehow.

Certainly some large finds there,that acorn is extra cool :party:

The long skinny casing is unusual,not to mention the shotgun firing caps.

Shotguns were clearly the gun of choice back in the day with many practical applications :cool:

Interesting :Y:

Latest posts