Fake Fisher Gold Bug Pro detectors - be aware!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Copyright

Under theCopyright Act 1968it is an offence to:

knowingly import, possess, sell, distribute or commercially deal with an infringing copy

Seizure of infringing goods

Once a notification has been lodged, Customs officers will seize any goods infringing either the copyright or the trade marks in question.

After the goods have been seized you have 10 working days to take action against the importer. Customs will detain the products during this time.
At the end of 10 working days the goods will be released to the importer unless you have initiated legal proceedings and have obtained an appropriate court order.
Customs is not obliged to take further action after this time. If you do not commence legal action within 10 working days you may find it difficult to enlist Customs assistance in the future.
Trade marks

Under theTrade Marks Act 1995it is an offence to:

falsify a registered trade markfalsely apply a registered trade markalter or remove a trade mark, knowing it is a registered trade markmake a die, block, machineor instrument that can help in falsifying or removing a trade marksell, possess, distribute or import a good, knowing that the trade mark has been falsified or removed.

Penalties include up to five years imprisonmentand fines of up to $99 000.

Copyright

Under theCopyright Act 1968it is an offence to:

knowingly import, possess, sell, distribute or commercially deal with an infringing copyoffer for sale infringing copies of computer programstransmit a computer program to enable it to be copied when received.

Penalties include fines of up to $117 000 for individuals and up to $585 000 for corporations. The possible term of imprisonment is up to five years.

Thank you 7.62marksman for your helpful links.

At this stage my case appears to still be with EBAY not PAYPAL. Looking at the terms and conditions of PAYPAL Guarantee they seem to reserve the right to grant refunds at their sole discretion.

EBAY still wish for me to send it back and have now provided me with a return postage authorisation to print out and attach for return. I have been given 10 days to do this.

Reviewing the links much of what I see seems to refer to importing/customs - In this case the item has already been successfully imported.

I looked on ACCC website and their advise appears to be careful what you buy to start with, promote seeking refunds and does not give much hope when dealing with overseas companies - My seller is based in China but using an Australian proxy address.

I will use the Auspost link in my next contact with EBAY.

Other searches on the net appear to indicate that the authorities do not have the resources to deal with the extent of the piracy leaving many companies having to act on there own behalf to protect their markets.

Further to note - one of my previous threads where I did not find a serial number in the battery compartment - which I used as the basis of my argument that the unit is fake - Upon re inspection I found a small sticker on the side which matches the electronic serial when you switch the unit on. In this case the serial is 838289. I will now require other reasonable evidence to justify my claim.

I like the the last link you have provided. UK based, it shows that you have to put a lot of effort in to get the right result.

If anyone with a Gold Bug Pro wishes to play "spot the difference" with the photos below be my guest.

1532225918_20180722_100312.jpg

1532225918_20180722_100322.jpg

1532225919_20180722_100335.jpg

1532225754_20180722_101115.jpg

1532225755_20180722_101122.jpg

1532225755_20180722_101134.jpg

1532225755_20180722_101141.jpg

1532225755_20180722_101151.jpg

1532225755_20180722_101200.jpg

1532225756_20180722_101234.jpg

1532225756_20180722_101356.jpg

1532225756_20180722_101440.jpg

So your one has a 7 digit serial number, Have you bothered to Contact first Texas about the numbers and the packaging etc, You need to contact them ASAP and show them the machine and close up details of the box because they can give ebay a big serve and they carry more clout than you and that will speed things up, then it will get sorted.

Thanks for your input Ridge Runner
I think the serial is only 6 digits. It also matches the electronic serial displayed when you turn it on.
I have passed on some relevant details to Fisher Labs US email address with my contact details if they would like to take it further.
I am guessing the way EBAY sees it now is that I do not have proof it is counterfeit, which to be fair, at the moment I don't have qualified evidence at this point and the whole issue will go away if I return it and get a refund.

Hydrocarbon said:
Thanks for your input Ridge Runner
I think the serial is only 6 digits. It also matches the electronic serial displayed when you turn it on.
I have passed on some relevant details to Fisher Labs US email address with my contact details if they would like to take it further.
I am guessing the way EBAY sees it now is that I do not have proof it is counterfeit, which to be fair, at the moment I don't have qualified evidence at this point and the whole issue will go away if I return it and get a refund.

The ONLY way to be sure is for the unit to be inspected, some of the copies are quite good.

The best way to be sure you're not getting a counterfeit is to only buy from an authorised dealer. There are so many counterfeit detectors around of most makes that some companies now forbid their sale on eBay and Amazon.

Maldon Gold Centre said:
1968falconxt said:
Thanks heaps for the info guys. I am so glad I did not impulse buy off ebay... I will be looking for a good 2nd hand GB Pro. Failing that, I will buy one from a dealer.

If you're going to buy second hand it would be a good idea to check the serial number before handing over cash. Some of the fakes look identical to the real thing with different electronics inside. You can call us with a serial number and we can confirm whether it's real - takes about 24 hours.

guys I'm about to buy a second hand gold bug pro, anyone could give me theirs opinion is this original or not?

1537853141_screenshot_20180924-213547_ebay_kleinanzeigen.jpg

1537853182_screenshot_20180924-213610_ebay_kleinanzeigen.jpg

1537853183_screenshot_20180924-213527_ebay_kleinanzeigen.jpg

There are two oddities in the LCD display, that don't correspond with what I've seen in person and online:

1. The battery icon is in an unusual location at top left. It's normally at bottom centre; and
2. The moving target ID 'pointer' at the top of the screen appears to be in three segments rather than a single, solid block.

These two anomalies may just be ongoing manufacturer detail changes (like the logo at the top, which used to just say 'Fisher', not Fisher Research Labs), but they're the sort of detail that fakes typically fail on.

I suggest you follow Maldon Gold Centre's advice and call him to check on the serial number (there should be a sticker showing this in the battery compartment).

1537859538_gold_bug_pro_control_panel_lge.jpg

I think some of the screens were revised on the gold bug when the G2+ and Fisher F19 were released, they had the battery icon relocated to the top of the screen as well as some other minor changes to the screen wording - guess they were all using the same stock screen with a few extra features activated on the F19 & G2+.

Also just watched a you tube clip by Hunter GT (fisher fanatic), and his goldbug also had the battery indicator located at the top of the screen. The conductivity range is usually indicated in segments, just that the stock photo doesn't show it very well.

Stock photo from a well known US seller shows screen changes on the goldbug pro.

https://www.seriousdetecting.com/pr...detector-bundle-with-pick-carry-bag-and-more/

guys thanks a lot for the help I asked the seller about serial code under the lid and is detector original or chinese and he stoped responding so I assume it's fake.

So I decided to order one from amazon in hope that amazon should sell original only.

what do you think I even found one used ( damaged packaging ) so that lower price a bit:

1538732476_screenshot_20181005-113718_chrome_beta.jpg

1538732476_screenshot_20181005-113711_chrome_beta.jpg

dirkraw said:
guys thanks a lot for the help I asked the seller about serial code under the lid and is detector original or chinese and he stoped responding so I assume it's fake.

So I decided to order one from amazon in hope that amazon should sell original only.

You're taking a big risk. The RRP for a single coil Gold Bug Pro in Australia is $1,189.00. The combo is $1,395.00.

A detector bought from Amazon might be just as big a risk as eBay depending on the seller. Even if genuine there will be no Australian warranty or after sales support.

I got bitten by the counterfeit bug. Confirmed by Fisher.

Geez it didnt even enter my mind there was such a thing as a fake detector!

Bought off Ebay, determined by someone else so i took it upwith the seller as being a counterfeit and had a refund before i had even received the unit. Ebay said i can send the unit back. The seller didnt ask for its return.

So im using it. It came with the two coils. Honestly im surprised how well it detects. Gain at 10 oclock, thresh at midday it had no probs with this lead weight.

BTW, Fisher is fully aware of these counterfeits. They apparently have a team working full time on the issue.

1557490362_71aa9387-b512-40c4-98da-7e78df4d5a12.jpg

mbasko said:
You could also contact Fisher direct with the serial number & photos:
[email protected]
I'm pretty sure there has been some faceplate changes over the years but not sure about the LCD screen?

I made several contacts to Fisher which went without reply.
Without some manufacturer confirmation I was unable to succeed in my claim with Ebay that the unit was fake.
Outcome was sending the unit back for a refund and the money getting spent on something else.
I am surprised manufacturers aren't fitting encrypted RFID chips to their machines and products. Most mobile phones have NFC functionality and apps can be provided to confirm legitimacy

Hydrocarbon said:
mbasko said:
[email protected]
I'm pretty sure there has been some faceplate changes over the years but not sure about the LCD screen?

Without some manufacturer confirmation I was unable to succeed in my claim with Ebay that the unit was fake.
Outcome was sending the unit back for a refund and the money getting spent on something else.
I am surprised manufacturers aren't fitting encrypted RFID chips to their machines and products. Most mobile phones have NFC functionality and apps can be provided to confirm legitimacy

I got a refund from the seller before receiving the unit. I still have the unit. There was no way i was going to send back the unit without first getting a refund. If the seller is dodgy and Ebay were going to support them, that just wasnt going to happen. The seller refunded without question and didnt ask for its return.

Did you contact the seller? Demand a refund stating you will take this further.

Hydrocarbon said:
mbasko said:
[email protected]

It's possible that many companies are overloaded (or just over) enquiries regarding fake detectors.
The only real way to be sure you are getting the real deal is to buy from authorised dealers.
There are no shortcuts or unbelievably cheap deals.

Hi. All I'm about to buy a gold bug pro secondhand and have a couple of concerns. It comes with the large black coil and the 5" round white coil. I've only seen them sold with this combo as cheapy eBay around $500 brand new. So I'm thinking all of those may be fakes. And you can still buy em on eBay to this day. I thought fisher were going to jump on these people?!