Pumps for a Highbanker - information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even though most people recommend Honda, I can't afford one so I've done some reading up and checked a lot of online reviews on the 'Warton' pumps and even seen them recommended in here, and all reviews seem excellent.
But not being familiar with pumps I'm not sure if I need a 1.5 inch or a 2 inch.

It will be used for Highbanking 20m+ from waters edge up about 3m higher than the creek itself.
Here are the 2 models I am looking at:

1.5 inch - https://www.edisons.com.au/1-5-high-pressure-petrol-water-pump-prp-15p-series-ii/

2 inch - https://www.edisons.com.au/2-high-flow-petrol-water-pump-red-prp-02f/

It will also be used as a firefighting pump if the need ever arises (which I hope never happens)
Any help is appreciated.

Cheers, Ken :)

theres another cheap honda knock off engine the " thornado " i have several and the spares used are generally honda stuff, now I would not by a bag of shitte from edisions their warranty service is well what can one say its like whats in the bag i wouldn't buy see what spares parts list before you buy, went to run my saw bench, petrol every where the plastic connection point into the tank was broken its out of the way so its not man made break, the honda has a better quality connector but the tanks look the same but its when something goes wrong when you realise sometimes cheap aint cheap my 1 1/2hp tornado pump cost me 130 $$$$$ the 20hp bench saw donk ,,, was around 450$$$$ I bought a ROSSI WELDER no service agents in australia

iamagoldenoldie2 said:
theres another cheap honda knock off engine the " thornado " i have several and the spares used are generally honda stuff, now I would not by a bag of shitte from edisions their warranty service is well what can one say its like whats in the bag i wouldn't buy see what spares parts list before you buy, went to run my saw bench, petrol every where the plastic connection point into the tank was broken its out of the way so its not man made break, the honda has a better quality connector but the tanks look the same but its when something goes wrong when you realise sometimes cheap aint cheap my 1 1/2hp tornado pump cost me 130 $$$$$ the 20hp bench saw donk ,,, was around 450$$$$ I bought a ROSSI WELDER no service agents in australia

Thanks, but a 1 1/2hp Thornado pump definitely isn't going to cut it. A mate is using a 2 1/2hp Thornado now and it is only just enough to get where the Banker sits.
We need something with more grunt.

But thanks for the info about plastic bits like the fuel line connector. Good to be forewarned.

Go with the 2" mate and use a reducer with a ball valve from the pump as most bankers have 1.5" plumbing, 8hp you will only have to run it at 30%-50% or so and extend its lifespan, works for me. I have a similar pump, never had any issues with it, except lugging it I guess!

AussieChris said:
Go with the 2" mate and use a reducer with a ball valve from the pump as most bankers have 1.5" plumbing, 8hp you will only have to run it at 30%-50% or so and extend its lifespan, works for me. I have a similar pump, never had any issues with it, except lugging it I guess!

Thanks Chris.
Yeah, I know what you mean about the rev's. The 2 1/2 hp Thornado is screaming its titsoff trying to push the water up the steep hill we setup on.

So it's OK to run a 1 1/2" hose all the way from the 2" pump?

Dragon Man said:
limpalot said:
2" will give you less friction, but will work with 1.5", even run 1/2 way with 2". Make sure you have 2" on suction though.

Excellent tip. Thanks heaps.
I might go 2" all the way until the 3 metre flexi hose in 1 1/2" at the banker.

1.5" layflat is much cheaper than 2"

1.5" is fine from the pump, just need a cheap ball joint and reducer.

AussieChris said:
Dragon Man said:
limpalot said:
2" will give you less friction, but will work with 1.5", even run 1/2 way with 2". Make sure you have 2" on suction though.

Excellent tip. Thanks heaps.
I might go 2" all the way until the 3 metre flexi hose in 1 1/2" at the banker.

1.5" layflat is much cheaper than 2"

1.5" is fine from the pump, just need a cheap ball joint and reducer.
Yeah, cost is certainly a factor.

But I will certainly use 2" on the suction side.

Dragon Man said:
AussieChris said:
. . . just need a cheap ball joint and reducer.

What is the 'Ball Joint'?

Pretty sure it's the same as a gate valve, I've only known them to be called a ball valve. So a gate valve has a turn dial that screws the valve up and down adjusting the flow rate a ball valve does the same thing but is adjusted by a lever opening and closing a ball on a horizontal plane. Only use ball valves :Y: their simple to operate and clean if necessary.

Not a bad price!
1581294640_screenshot_20200210-112759_ebay.jpg

Latest posts