Interestingly Coloured Quartz

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yass00_Au

Ross
Reaction score
G'day guys,

Found this interestingly coloured piece of quartz and was wondering if anyone can shed some light on its colours and make up?

1385711177_sofala_quarts_001.jpg

1385711202_sofala_quarts_002.jpg

1385711235_sofala_quarts_003.jpg

I took it to work for a show n tell and you should have seen the luster in their eyes 8)

I don't have it any more as my son Constantine (6) has put it his secret spot, sooooo secret that he cant remember now where his secret spot is ;) It will pop up someday when we least expect it and isn't it the case that its right under our noses? as they say..

Cheers,

Ross

I am interested in the answers as well. I have seen a bit of that around and even found one like that with some of that pinky stone crystals just by the edge of an estuary.

Its been subject to mineralisation. The whiter the quartz in surface specimens the more barren of gold it usually is. When checking the ground we are looking for discoloured and quartz that looks rotten - mouse eaten is a term you hear as well. It maybe stained green, blueish, yellow, a dark/light brown or a mixture of these colours. What has happened is that minerals originally associated with the quartz have disintegrated from a combination of rotting vegetations humic acids, exposure from fluids containing other minerals and they have stained the quartz. you may even note that any associated gold may also be stained. It is very important to note the colours of quartz when prospecting. Mineralised quartz is a good indicator if you will.

Latest posts