Reef or old alluvial workings?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all, I've found this spot in the north east of Victoria near where I live. The area was full of reef mines and according to old maps right in the vicinity of where I am.

I've put a clip up on YouTube so you can see the spot. The area is very big and full of red mineralized dirt that goes off on the detector. I dug a bucket of the dirt and classified it. Found small bits of quartz which I crushed. No gold in the quartz but 80 small specs in the dirt. A second bucket yielded 40 specs. This material was all taken from the right hand size wall of an old tunnel/adit

I plan to sample more but would like to get some opinions if it is worthwhile to dolly any quartz I find here. Thanks
[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/_CCcQ2_4Tzw[/video]

The gold might of leached out already. Thus the small specs in dirt. Maybe chase the vein down and see if it richens up.
Would depend on what the gold was associated with in that area. It is not always quartz like some people believe.

Sorry I have crappy internet so can't play vid. Is the dirt sticky clay or like regular dirt ? 40 to 80 tiny specs per bucket isn't too bad even if small.

Have a look at the gold through a loop.
You will be able to see the difference.
Really flat and round, alluvial
Sharp and jagged, leached from its body.
Also. Instead of crunching all that Quartz, have a look through the loop first.
Then if nothing, crush some more.
If you still get nothing, through the rest out.

XIV said:
Have a look at the gold through a loop.
You will be able to see the difference.
Really flat and round, alluvial
Sharp and jagged, leached from its body.
Also. Instead of crunching all that Quartz, have a look through the loop first.
Then if nothing, crush some more.
If you still get nothing, through the rest out.

Good suggestion. I will get a loop.

The red soil looks like the decomposed granite soils found around yackandandah terrace deposits. what general area are you in.

Latest posts