Victoria information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi fellow members,

What is the best place to find data on old gold mines in Victoria? Mainly looking for 2 bits of information.

1. How much gold was found?
2. What depth it was found at?

Cheers Chuky

hi guys hope im posting in the correct forum. i signed up for a prospecting licence two years ago ( 10 year permit ), however since that time my house burnt down and my permit along with it; question is, do i need to buy a new one or just have identification so as an official can check up my validity , cheers.

Hi I will be taking my wife to Equatana in melboune next week and I will only have an afternoon for a swing in the Beechworth area on the way down so can any one give me some help as too where I can go for a few hours please (would love to find an old chinese coin )
Roy

Hi Roy,

Gold around Beechworth is typically small but larger nuggets were found.

I have found some in the 3 mile block area south of the town ship on the Buckland Gap Rd. See the area and legend in the link provided. Lots of old rubbish too unfortunately.

Around Yack there are also some good spots.

Just take note of the spots on the linked map where you are and aren't allowed to prospect in the historic park. Anywhere in state forest is OK but the pines are off limits as they are privately owned/leased and you need a permit to enter.

https://parkweb.vic.gov.au/__data/a...eechworth-Historic-Park-Prospecting-Guide.pdf

Are you using a PI or VLF?

Good luck and enjoy Equitana.

I have also just read your post properly and am assuming you aren't chasing gold :(

Anywhere in those same spots might get you a Chinese coin as the trash that is in there is OLD trash and the Chinese were all over these diggings.

Northeast said:
I have also just read your post properly and am assuming you aren't chasing gold :(

Anywhere in those same spots might get you a Chinese coin as the trash that is in there is OLD trash and the Chinese were all over these diggings.

Thanks Northeast I have PI and VLF gold would be fine but only have a afternoon free so I felt relic hunting woul be most productive for my time available so thanks for the information it will be a great help.
Roy

No problem.

I actually have Mon, Tues, Weds off next week and might be able to sneak in a few hours with the Equinox if you are going through on one of those days.

Or a bee sting and a coffee at the Beechworth Bakery :D

Northeast said:
Hi Roy,

Gold around Beechworth is typically small but larger nuggets were found.

I have found some in the 3 mile block area south of the town ship on the Buckland Gap Rd. See the area and legend in the link provided. Lots of old rubbish too unfortunately.

Around Yack there are also some good spots.

Just take note of the spots on the linked map where you are and aren't allowed to prospect in the historic park. Anywhere in state forest is OK but the pines are off limits as they are privately owned/leased and you need a permit to enter.

https://parkweb.vic.gov.au/__data/a...eechworth-Historic-Park-Prospecting-Guide.pdf

Are you using a PI or VLF?

Good luck and enjoy Equitana.

Hi Northeast do you need any permits etc. to detect in that area
Thanks again Roy

Well.......buggered if I know.

Historic Park and State Forest you need a Miners Right. But if you are in those areas specifically coin/relic hunting then I have no idea. I suppose you would still need a Miner's Right because how can you prove you aren't chasing gold?

Hunting public parks - I have never treasure hunted in a public area in our region so have never checked out the regs.

I will send this chap a PM as I'm sure he will know and I am keen to find out as well. He is based in Beechworth and does a few vids on Youtube. https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=26714

Can also call the Indigo Shire on Wednesday and see if they the staff are aware of any council laws.

Northeast said:
Well.......buggered if I know.

Historic Park and State Forest you need a Miners Right. But if you are in those areas specifically coin/relic hunting then I have no idea. I suppose you would still need a Miner's Right because how can you prove you aren't chasing gold?

Hunting public parks - I have never treasure hunted in a public area in our region so have never checked out the regs.

I will send this chap a PM as I'm sure he will know and I am keen to find out as well. He is based in Beechworth and does a few vids on Youtube. https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=26714

Can also call the Indigo Shire on Wednesday and see if they the staff are aware of any council laws.

Thanks again Northeast you have helped me out and looking forward to any updates as well
Roy

Thanks for the information I dont expect for someone to give up there good spots but as I will only have a few hours and have never been in the area was just after somewhere to go and have a swing with some possiable targets worth digging
Roy

Northeast said:
No problem.

I actually have Mon, Tues, Weds off next week and might be able to sneak in a few hours with the Equinox if you are going through on one of those days.

Or a bee sting and a coffee at the Beechworth Bakery :D

Hope to be in the area next tuesday afternoon so will stay in touch as it would be a great help to have some local information as well
Roy
The bee sting and coffee sounds fine as I have not had one for many years
Roy

Latest posts