Tecktites mounted in a gold nugget

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,just a question and bit of advice if its worthwhile,i have a nice 20gr bit i might make into a pendant for the better half,also have some tecktites laying about,i read or heard somewhere cuppla yrs ago some tecktites come up ok cut and polished,crossing my mind to go this route with maybe 2 small bits mounted in the nugget,you guys are the experts,whats your thoughts and if it sounds like it would come up ok if anyone here is interested in doing it well we can talk costs etc privately.....

I'm not sure what you're expecting those tektites to look like when they're cut and polished, but have a look at these pics I just found with a Google image search for tektite jewelry:
https://tinyurl.com/yahue3qf

Unfortunately, you need to ignore the pics of jade green or pale-green stones, which are of European or US origin (technically they're Moldavites and Georgiaites). Aussie tektites (Australites) are black underneath their roasted and weathered exterior skin. Actually they're a very dark green like an ancient beer bottle and if you've got a tektite with a sharp, broken edge, you can hold it in front of a bright light to see the greenish colour along the thin edge. But Aussie tektites will only polish up as black. Is that what you have in mind?

Tektite types and sources:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tektite#Occurrence

My own Lake Yindarlgooda (Kalgoorlie) finds:
1531834727_2018-07-17_21.34.53.jpg

Thanks for that grubstake,yes i had an idea they might be too dark but not knowing allot about gem cutting etc i thought maybe theyd come out ok,was hoping to send off a dirty old tektite then receive something back that looks like a ruby,cant you blokes do that!!?? :)
We do have this perfectly round tektite or something,i think its natural,found in the bush,it is a green not near as dark as a normal tektite,maybe that would be more suitable,ive never seen anything like this before.....

Here's a couple of thoughts via image
two things joined
1531846491_images-25.jpg

Three things joined
1531846560_images-18.jpg

one thing set in another
1531846614_images-19.jpg

same but reversed
1531846657_images-1.jpg

just thinking with ya. :D

cheers silver,food for thought,ive seen a couple set with opals also but shes not a big fan of it so its out sadly,i liked the opal set ones ive seen.....
may end up with a couple of small stones like lefty sells on here,in no rush and want it to look good....

Goldchaser1 said:
We do have this perfectly round tektite or something,i think its natural,found in the bush,it is a green not near as dark as a normal tektite,maybe that would be more suitable,ive never seen anything like this before.....

Could it possibly be a marble from the old-time ginger beer bottles?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codd-neck_bottle

Goldchaser1 said:
Thanks for that grubstake,yes i had an idea they might be too dark but not knowing allot about gem cutting etc i thought maybe theyd come out ok,was hoping to send off a dirty old tektite then receive something back that looks like a ruby,cant you blokes do that!!??

I sort of can do something like that. Send me a ruby and i'll send something that looks like 'a dirty old tektite' back. :lol: Promise.

Mr Magoo said:
Goldchaser1 said:
Thanks for that grubstake,yes i had an idea they might be too dark but not knowing allot about gem cutting etc i thought maybe theyd come out ok,was hoping to send off a dirty old tektite then receive something back that looks like a ruby,cant you blokes do that!!??

I sort of can do something like that. Send me a ruby and i'll send something that looks like 'a dirty old tektite' back. :lol: Promise.
How much do you charge for this special service :D

1531906565_83febef4-a2bf-4a69-a630-bb0b8249c603.jpg
Lefty said:
Yeah, pretty sure the green one is a marble :(

Yeah id say lefty,funny thing is no rubbish where it was and the area has the odd very old waterworn rocks which ya dont see alot of in wa,like river rocks so it had me thinking it might be natural,ill find something to put in this nugget,i do have a bit of quartz crystal that actually she found in the great vic desert,suitable well i dont know....
1531906332_e013a428-46a5-43a5-9f0e-a2db113788ae.jpg

also have this agate she found on the same day,can they be cut etc?

Would require first hand inspection to be able to tell for sure but from the photo it looks pretty clean. Certain angles must be adhered to when faceting so its best if a stone has some thickness, the blockier the shape, the better the yield is likely to be.

If its good annd clear, colourless quartz can cut a nice looking stone. I cut a bunch of little colourless quartz crystals for a mate and they came up beautifully bright and sparkly. Plus it has just the right sort of hardness for general jewellery work.

Yes, agate can be cut, typically as a cabochon ( the smooth, rounded dome type stones). Thats a nice looking piece - has it been tumbled? It looks very smooth and shiny.

No agate was straight off the desert floor,quartz crystal was nearby,she said there was quite a bit of the quartz about but no nuggets so never marked the spot.....

nucopia said:
That pinkish one looks nice mate
Your Mrs might like that in a gold setting :Y:

You're right nucopia - it does look slightly pinkish. Wonder if it's just the light? If it really is slightly pink-tinted that would be very interesting, might not be quartz at all if that's the case.

nucopia said:
That pinkish one looks nice mate
Your Mrs might like that in a gold setting :Y:

Yes but i think when the times comes ill go amethyst,topaz or maybe a couple of small saphires,been looking at some of leftys pics here,some stunning rocks,leaning towards topaz maybe....

Latest posts