Victoria information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:D I reckon there's still more in there, especially around the 'old works' and the hillside to the creekbed/gutter..

I got a few bits on that hillside on my way out, and didn't get close to covering the hilltop or 'works' myself. I started on the southern end and got a range of species and nuggs... working between Quartz Hill & the Village.

One of the more pleasant 'day out for a swing' that one, all on an off-chance conversation and i altered location...ended up there a number of occasions and only 'skunked' once, but my mate made up for it lol.

Pg 6 'Tully's' Castlemaine map, Long. 57, Lat. 95

Hi all thought this might be of use to some-one as I cannot due to the big C. And sold my detecting gear. Cheers Dazza.
1502696092_img_0975.jpg

Hey all,
Im from Adelaide and looking to head over to Victoria on a prospecting holiday but don't really know where to start.

I'm a prospecting newbie so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi RB, and welcome to Vic.
Would help to know what you are planning - detecting, high-banking or panning (assuming that you're after gold).
Also, if detecting, what machine are you using.
As Winter leaves, many of us Vic thin-bloods will start hitting the GT more regularly, so it may be a good idea to catch up on some of the posted meet-ups.
If you are detecting and want to go it alone, then buy some John Tully or Doug Stone maps from a prospecting store of places like: Avocado, Ballarat, Bendigo, Castlemaine, Maryborough, Dunolly, Kingower, Inglewood, Wedderburn or Creswick (if you have a SDC) etc.
Just remember that you can't take gold back across the border, so I'll have to post it to you :D

Hey bigwave, thanks :)

I'll be predominantly detecting, I have the gm1000 and SDC. But wouldnt mind doing a bit of crevicing too.

I'll definatly be interested in a meet up as I'm very amateur and would love some field guidance.

At this stage I've only got my RWD triton ute, would this be a problem?

Cheers

Beardy

Hello all, I need a bit of help if possible. I know there is a caravan park IN the Bendigo National Park (Whipstick) as I stayed there & want to find it again, but am unable to. When I did come across it before, I do know that it was not listed anywhere then either. It is probably 15 minutes from residential & I think near a creek or stream.

Thanking all in advance for any help they can give.

Hello all, I need a bit of help if possible. I know there is a caravan park IN the Bendigo National Park (Whipstick) as I stayed there & want to find it again, but am unable to. When I did come across it before, I do know that it was not listed anywhere then either. It is probably 15 minutes from residential & I think near a creek or stream.

Thanking all in advance for any help they can give.

Hi guys, Ill be in Geelong in December from QLD for 10 days and hope to sneak away from the inlaws for a couple of days with my 7000 for a bit of a look around. Can anyone give some advise on somewhere not to far away that would be worth a look? Now I know this is a broad question and you are not going to tell me were your secret spot is but I would appreciate any advice.
Thanks in advance.

Whipstick you probably are talking about the Notley camp ground it's off the Eaglehawk/Neilborough road nice spot drive straight when you see Notley placard veer left can't miss it.

Hi all im recently getting into some slucing or plan to i live down in the latrobe valley in vic and am trying to find areas where i may try my luck as yet i havent had much luck finding info on where to go locally

Gday guys and gals does anyone out there have any info or maps about Foster Victoria and do you know if detecting there is ok thanx regards Rick

shiftyrick said:
Gday guys and gals does anyone out there have any info or maps about Foster Victoria and do you know if detecting there is ok thanx regards Rick

If there is a local history section in the closest Library - Turtons creek I believe has panning gold

Anyone know of any well known or less well known spots for gems n minerals around melbourne western suburbs? or gold

Morning Everyone,

Im currently planning a trip to Vic from SA, been studying Geovic for possible locations to go prospecting, I have found a place of interest, am I correct to believe that the areas shaded in grey ( crown land ) are all good to go prospecting on? Already have miners right. Its around the Paddys Ranges area. Any feed back would be appreciated

hi Brad , unfortunately geovic shows all crown land , most areas with "park "or "reserve" at the end of it is out of bounds ( State or national park , historic reserve etc.) Stick to "state forest" and you should be right .

Google this to get a pdf of where you are allowed to go round Marybough "paddys ranges prospecting guide"

this is a good map for working out the type of crown land http://emergency.vic.gov.au/respond/
Toggle between the road map and much more detailed topo map with the tile on the lower left

thanks Brett

Latest posts