zip again

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
just back from the warwick fields for zilch , did give me a day out on the machine though . i think i need lessons or something . if i had dug every signal i would not of moved any more than 30 meters for the whole day . i seem to get some kind of a signal almost every swing . found some lovely old bits of tin though and tiny little sharp bits of ferrous stuff , also brought home a very heavy rock about the size of a lemon that i was getting a signal off ( ironstone ?)
tried a few settings and gave up and went to factory reset and rx down to 6 and stab down to 8 in an attempt to get rid of some of the signals .
i think my next step will be to take some tiny slivers of lead out to my block away from town EMI and bury them in the paddock so i can tell exactly what i am supposed to be listening for and take the hot rock with me aswell.
johno

this rock holding its own ( quite heavy )weight on a hard drive magnet .
1531043609_20180708_194754_resized.jpg

It might pay to run your 705 over the area just to find out if there is junk there or ground noise,

Hi Texta,check out my previous question "to dig or not to dig" about two weeks ago on this forum .

I haven't had a chance to take the advice given. I'm hoping to get out out soon . Nothing good ever came easy ! Keep digging mate ?

just been re reading settings on the www and it seems i stuffed up ,dont know if it would make a heck of a lot of difference but those that know the machines will know . anyway long story short i had my stab set 2 higher than my rx when ever i set or adjusted the rx i always set the stab 2 higher and with what i have read today seems like it should be the other way around with the rx the higher of the two . i dont know cos i dont understand the thing yet .
johno

Gday Johnno

Having your first Gold machine can be a bit daunting .

It gives you a real appreciation for coin shooting .

Do you have a small piece of gold to test on the surface and bury somewhat & test ..?

Looking for Gold can be disheartening , just need to hang in there .

Ive met people that have been Gold Detecting for a few years & have yet to find there first piece .

i am going to do some tests tomorrow arvo out on my block with some lead to give me some idea what i am doing , i am hoping to learn a lot from that .just did not get time today to much happening here was as busy as a one armed paper hanger most of the day.
john.

took my 45 out to my block this arvo and tried a couple of bits of lead just laying on the surface , and i was supprised i thought i would of had no probs hearing the smaller one but that was not the case i did hear it but only just and of course i knew exactly where it was ,the bigger bit was no problem at all but again these were just laying on the surface ( also found a rock that was giving a signal ) i never had a lot of time but i am keeping the 2 bits of lead and when i get chance i will try again with the 14" elite just to see what the difference is between it and the standard minelab mono .
i also mucked around blindly with a few of the settings but never improved the outcome at all .
pic of the lead i used . maybe i should of painted them bright yella.
how small a bit should i be able to find on the surface ?????????????
johno

1531295783_20180711_172126_resized.jpg
1531295797_20180711_172142_resized.jpg

forgot to add what i did find was 3 tiny little rusty spikes that look like the points off a the barbs on barb wire fence they were an inch or 2 down . they screamed and i found them easy a lot louder than the lead .
johno

Well if there is that much small trash then you need to use your VLF, this is one of those times that the 4500 is not king of the hill because you are never going to stop digging junk with it and nothing you can do is going to change that, even a VLF will have problems but the 705 or a GM or any other VLF etc will help you sift through the junk be it at a reduced depth.

If you are going to persist on using the 4500 then you need to forget big coils like the 14" and go for an 8" or the Sadie etc.

Digging trash is just part of any detecting whether your looking for treasure or gold. Eventually you'll hit a target that will be gold but it might take a while, keep at it. Took me quite a few trips before I found my first small piece.

You know there is gold or treasure out there you just need to walk over it. That is the challenge research and more research.
Then a lot of walking and digging.
Great fun and gets you out and about.
Oh and meeting loads of like minded people with tips and stories.
Keep focused and research.

The other advice I would give would be join a club for help and sites to visit.
Where are you located?

Cheers

Ridge Runner said:
Well if there is that much small trash then you need to use your VLF, this is one of those times that the 4500 is not king of the hill because you are never going to stop digging junk with it and nothing you can do is going to change that, even a VLF will have problems but the 705 or a GM or any other VLF etc will help you sift through the junk be it at a reduced depth.

If you are going to persist on using the 4500 then you need to forget big coils like the 14" and go for an 8" or the Sadie etc.
i was not in a gold area looking for gold i was just at home testing my settings with some lead .

Latest posts