Coil/Rx Minelab GPX

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone runs their Mono coils in the DD position?

I've been using a DD coil to work some pretty tough ground (high mineralisation and a plethora of hot rocks) thinking it would be better at handling those conditions. Changed to a Mono coil in the DD position and it out performed the DD. It was much less reactive to mineralisation and the hot rocks. I still had to run in Enhance for the most part, but I did change to Normal when I hit some quieter patches.

Never tried it but I have read it's better to use mono coils in the mono position (something to do with the threshold, receive processing & other control box magic/mumbo jumbo).
If ground is the issue then it may be better to stay in mono & go back to sensitive smooth or try slower motion setting, auto tracking etc.?

Yeah flicking back and forward the benefit seems slight. I was going off an explanation Johnathon Porter gave in his "The SETA Project" DVD for the 4500.

I guess I was more surprised with a mono coil being quieter in mineralized ground compared to the DD.

There is a bit more processing that goes on in the Mono position. This helps make them run a little quieter. The DD position does have a slightly louder response but I'm talking really slight. Different coils though react differently, and it is worth checking your coil arsenal in both positions.

isolation said:

I've been using a DD coil to work some pretty tough ground (high mineralisation and a plethora of hot rocks) thinking it would be better at handling those conditions. Changed to a Mono coil in the DD position and it out performed the DD. It was much less reactive to mineralisation and the hot rocks. I still had to run in Enhance for the most part, but I did change to Normal when I hit some quieter patches.
Isolation
You say the Mono in DD position had better stability than DD in DD position.
I'm assuming you're also inferring the Mono in DD was more stable than Mono in Mono, and why you used it this way; but please confirm.
I'm also assuming for an accurate comparison all other settings remained the same. Please confirm.
How was the depth and stability compared to the Mono in Mono position.
I'm thinking that whilst it was more stable the depth may not have been as deep; but please confirm.
Very interesting ........ never thought to use a Mono in DD. Didn't know it would work.
Certainly know you can use a DD in Mono.
Cheers

PhaseTech said:
There is a bit more processing that goes on in the Mono position. This helps make them run a little quieter. The DD position does have a slightly louder response but I'm talking really slight. Different coils though react differently, and it is worth checking your coil arsenal in both positions.

Thanks Nenad... I have since purchased two more mono coils and will be doing a bit more testing when I can.

Dignit said:
isolation said:

Isolation
You say the Mono in DD position had better stability than DD in DD position.
I'm assuming you're also inferring the Mono in DD was more stable than Mono in Mono, and why you used it this way; but please confirm.
I'm also assuming for an accurate comparison all other settings remained the same. Please confirm.
How was the depth and stability compared to the Mono in Mono position.
I'm thinking that whilst it was more stable the depth may not have been as deep; but please confirm.
Very interesting ........ never thought to use a Mono in DD. Didn't know it would work.
Certainly know you can use a DD in Mono.
Cheers

Dignit

1 The mono coil in any position was less reactive/quieter than the DD.
2 The only reason I tried the mono in DD was based on an explanation of the DD/mono position (by JP) on the 4500 as opposed to earlier models in the GP series, and how JP felt it performed in that position (see the SETA Project, starring role played by Nenad Lonic :D )I have also found in variable ground it does seem a simge quieter and less prone to mineralized soil false signals.
3 All other settings stayed the same
4 Although I didn't do any depth testing, it didn't seem to lose or gain depth. Although with quieter operation I was able to increase the Rx a couple of clicks

I hope that's enough confirming for you :D

Latest posts