Draft V3 Of The Cricket Buckle Book.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi all,

I've been a bit of a silent member :)

By now, most of you would of heard about the cricket buckle book resource that I've created and made available for free as a PDF.
Purpose the 'buckle book' as its become known, is to document the variety and designs of the recovered cricket buckles, and to provided a record of them.
It also has a section of other buckles I've found interesting.

v3 draft is currently at ~618 unique cricket buckle designs. This project has kept me pretty busy, taking most of my spare time. One of my highlights was that
I've identified two cricket buckles that contains the names of Australian cricket players from the 1860-1880's on them., one being 3 Aboriginal players from the 1st Australian Team,
the other featuring Fred Spofforth, "The Demon Bowler". I am pleased to know that the Melbourne Cricket Club Museum has both these cricket buckles.

I'm waiting on some more pictures to come from the MCCM, and then I'll be ready to release v3 of the book.

I'm also wondering if any of you hunters have any pictures you'd like to contribute to the building of the resource.

If you would like to send in some pictures; front & back, with dimensions, please email the address in the book,

Buckle resource: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwENP4lMSuvCM2tFQ0RHVWJ1N1U/view

cheers
-Brian
(in cold canberra!)

Hi Brian
First I've heard of the book.
I found an 1855 bronze belt buckle while detecting. It has the triangular date code on the back.
When I get a moment I'll dig out my photos and send thru to you.
Cheers Andy

Just downloaded the book and found you already have my photo of the back of the buckle I have on page 444. You have someone else's photo of the front.
Proud as punch you have a photo of mine in your book.
Cool!

brianincnb said:
hi all,

I've been a bit of a slient member :),

By now, most of you would of heard about the cricket buckle book resource that I've created and made available for free as a PDF.
Purpose the 'buckle book' as its become known, is to document the variety and designs of the recovered cricket buckles, and to provided a record of them.
It also has a section of other buckles I've found interesting.

v3 draft is currently at ~618 unique cricket buckle designs. This project has kept me pretty busy, taking most of my spare time. One of my highlights was that
I've identified two cricket buckles that contains the names of Australian cricket players from the 1860-1880's on them., one being 3 Aboriginal players from the 1st Australian Team,
the other featuring Fred Spofforth, "The Demon Bowler". I am pleased to know that the Melbourne Cricket Club Museum has both these cricket buckles.

I'm waiting on some more pictures to come from the MCCM, and then I'll be ready to release v3 of the book.

I'm also wondering if any of you hunters have any pictures you'd like to contribute to the building of the resource.

If you would like to send in some pictures; front & back, with dimensions, please email the address in the book,

cheers
-Brian
(in cold canberra!)
Gday Brian
I have two more buckles, they are in my finds pages , and my mate found another, please message me your contact address and i will send them

found between bathurst and mudgee :)
1531778526_p1120286.jpg

1531778526_p1120287.jpg

ctxkid said:
Gday Brian
I have two more buckles, they are in my finds pages , and my mate found another, please message me your contact address and i will send them
i am on my pc now , so have posted them up

Thanks Dign-it.
With the book, I'm trying to collate the most complete information about each buckle that I can. Which means, I sometimes use multiple pictures.
The registry stamp, the letters didn't match up to any of the reported letters for the period. So I'm wondering if that was a decision by the maker to use their 'own' mark / date system.
I've found, that not all buckles with a registry stamp, can be tracked back to reference in the historical records in the UK. ie: registry stamped items didnt have to be reported to a central authority.

Would you be able to measure your buckle, and get a better pic of the registry stamp if you have the time? I'd like to check if yours is a different production run.

thanks b.
Dig'n-it said:
Just downloaded the book and found you already have my photo of the back of the buckle I have on page 444. You have someone else's photo of the front.
Cool!

Thanks ctxkid,
that 3 part buckle is a good find, and the thin buckle, has a pretty cool locking mechanism, the ground has been good to the one!

I thought I saw a rectangular buckle, with cricket ball in center, surround by cricket balls in one of our collection pictures? I've seen that buckle twice before, however your find is the most complete one that I've seen. The others have had the belt loop broken off.

Are you able to post that one, and a picture of the back of your thin buckle? and measure them as well please?
yes,I have buckle OCD :) Getting back photos helps to identify if the buckle is a 1 piece press style or 2 part buckle with back-plate and centre-piece.

Appreciate your help with building the buckle book,

cheers -b.

ctxkid said:
Gday Brian

There's no fool like an old fool lol. :eek:
Where do I download from.... :/
is there a link ? 8)
:D

These are the only two complete cricket finds I've had so far, the fellow leaning against his bat was thought to be an 1868 pin from the Australian tour of England. Pretty sure that was confirmed from another one found on Kimbucktwo going off the apparel worn by the cricketer. Been meaning to drop it off at the Aboriginal cricket museum at Harrow, due to the proximity of the find and the fact that some of the Aboriginal cricketers travelled past this location on occasions.

1531826408_1461860505_img_20160417_163508.jpg

1531826421_1437297020_img_20150719_180240.jpg

hi silver,

google for "the australian detectorists recovered cricket buckles book"

I'm yet to reach the required number of posts to put a URL in a post - sorry!

silver said:
is there a link ? 8)

Goldpick, I actually your picture of "Champion with Bat & Ball" as the background on my Desktop, I quite like that buckle :)

hi Dron,

I would date your buckle 1860-1870. why? well based on its construction, type, shape, its consistent with the date ranges in the book for buckles, that have registry stamps of that era.

Goldpicks buckle above clearly depicts W.G.Grace, from wikipedia "..in 1866, he became widely recognised as the finest cricketer in England. Just after his eighteenth birthday in July 1866, Grace confirmed his potential with an innings of 224 not out for All-England against Surrey at The Oval" . The buckle depicts a mature man, so a good guestimate for Goldpick's buckle would be 1870-1875

cheers -b.
Dron said:
Hi Brian,
.... I was hoping you could tell me more about it, like how old it might be? I couldn't see any makers mark or diamond on it anywhere.

Thanks,
Dron.

brianincnb said:
hi silver,

silver said:
is there a link ? 8)

Goldpick, I actually your picture of "Champion with Bat & Ball" as the background on my Desktop, I quite like that buckle :)
Just takes me to some other forums
Sorry, no interest in other forums mate
where's the direct link to download it ? :D

brianincnb said:
Thanks Dign-it.
With the book, I'm trying to collate the most complete information about each buckle that I can. Which means, I sometimes use multiple pictures.
The registry stamp, the letters didn't match up to any of the reported letters for the period. So I'm wondering if that was a decision by the maker to use their 'own' mark / date system.
I've found, that not all buckles with a registry stamp, can be tracked back to reference in the historical records in the UK. ie: registry stamped items didnt have to be reported to a central authority.

Would you be able to measure your buckle, and get a better pic of the registry stamp if you have the time? I'd like to check if yours is a different production run.

thanks b.
Dig'n-it said:
Cool!
Will do over the next couple of days. Cheers

silver said:
brianincnb said:
hi silver,

silver said:
is there a link ? 8)

Here is the 2nd version Silver.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwENP4lMSuvCM2tFQ0RHVWJ1N1U/view

Eldorado said:
silver said:
brianincnb said:
hi silver,

silver said:
is there a link ? 8)

Here is the 2nd version Silver.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwENP4lMSuvCM2tFQ0RHVWJ1N1U/view
Thanks mate ! ...... 8)
Love your work ! :Y:
:eek: .... Long book. :D

Latest posts