QLD do i need a fossicking license?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Im curious if a need a fossicking license.
I am just hunting for coins, relics and jewellery, when i bought my detector i did some research and i couldnt find any information if i need a licence.
When i get it right the fossicking license in QLD covers prospecting just in regard to prospecting for minerals.
It looks like coins, relics and jewellery hunting is kind of a grey area. So id like to know your opinion and if someone got more information.
Thanks guys

For the price, it is best to get one.
That way if you have any issues with certain areas, you can negotiate terms with the land holder.

All depends how often you intend on doing it and where.

Well im usually heading out once a week to go for a hunt in local parks or beaches. I just started prospecting up about 3 month ago and never been asked have 2 friends i head out sometimes and they are going prospecting for years, both were holding a licence when they started out but dont hold have one the past years. They never had a problem and since it seems like there is no law for prospecting coins etc...

Thanks for the feedback guys,
i guess i wont get one as long as i just hit public parks, playgrounds and beaches.
Im seeing it the same way as Smoky Bandit at this stage, ill probably reconsider when i buy a better detector and potentially get out more to different areas.

Because I am pretty sure once you start digging a hole, and removing coins, it is fossicking for artifacts.

Surface finds are a different story. But even then, there are laws about making every effort to return any lost item to its owner. lol

By paying for a licence, it allows a regulation or some sort of monitoring of who is actually fossicking. And it keeps you covered in case of problems.

That is my advice anyway. Why not pay and be safe? Unless $8 breaks the bank. lol

hAyyoUinAU said:
Because I am pretty sure once you start digging a hole, and removing coins, it is fossicking for artifacts.

Surface finds are a different story. But even then, there are laws about making every effort to return any lost item to its owner. lol

By paying for a licence, it allows a regulation or some sort of monitoring of who is actually fossicking. And it keeps you covered in case of problems.

That is my advice anyway. Why not pay and be safe? Unless $8 breaks the bank. lol

Agree...

Your in a fossicking area and say you just after relics/coin = Inspector = Pull the other one...

hAyyoUinAU said:

If ya want one get one..but you dont need one in parks or beach ect :Y:

Certainly i would need to have a licence in fossicking areas.
Im just going in public parks and the beach, as far as i know there it is permitted up here as long as we dont make a mess and leave holes open obviously.
So as far as i read it within the rules and regulations, the fossicking license covers prospecting for minerals, gemstones, fossils etc.
Coins, lost jewellery etc are not covert by the fossicking license.

Mushulay said:
Certainly i would need to have a licence in fossicking areas.
Im just going in public parks and the beach, as far as i know there it is permitted up here as long as we dont make a mess and leave holes open obviously.
So as far as i read it within the rules and regulations, the fossicking license covers prospecting for minerals, gemstones, fossils etc.
Coins, lost jewellery etc are not covert by the fossicking license.
Yes spot on mate :Y: ..Good luck with your hunts :Y: :D