Help needed with minelab F1A4 mods

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone
I have newly acquired a minelab F1A4 which has already had the coil and earphone mod done. It has also had the vol and threshold mod done.
My first question is what is the threshold mod used for and which coil is best suited as it only came with a 11in DD coil.
Also I am wanting to do the frequency and channel mod on it also. If someone has any info like pics and wiring diagrams on this that would be great. I am pretty handy with a soldering iron so I'm hoping one of u fine chaps or ladies could help me.
Look forward to the replies
Thanks in advance

Hi 7.62marksman
I have previously seen that post and did learn a few things from it like the extra GB button. But I was hoping that Auman or anyone else could help with some of the more detailed mods like the frequency change and timing/channel mod. Hopefully someone could help.thanks

Hi again 7.62marksman
Do you have any experience with the F1A4, mine has the threshold mod on it and I was wondering what this did to the machine?

Hi houdinihary
Thanks for the reply. That u tube video was quite informative. I now know what the threshold is for and how to use it. I also now know that my F1A4 is a level 1 modded detector. I'm after any info that I can use to add the level 2 or 3 mods to mt F1A4. Hope you or someone could help. Thanks again for your reply.

Firey10_0,

I think there was a thread on this forum about modding the F1A4
It was a long time ago....use the search button at the top of the home page ...

Cheers Nanjim
Jim

Hi Nanjim
I have seen the post about modding the F1A4 which a link to the page was posted by 7.62marksman. It was quite informative but I need some info for the level 2 and 3 mods. If you or anyone else could help that would be greatly appreciated. Regards firey10_0

Also if anyone can tell me what is the best all purpose coil I can use on the F1A4 as it only come with the gp series 11in coil which I think is a DD type coil. Thanks

Hi grubstake.
Thanks for the link, that did help clarify things a bit. I think I'll grab a 8" mono and 11" mono and they should be good starters at least.

If anyone else has the info for the F1A4 level 2 or 3 mods that would be great. Hoping someone on the forum has there's modded that could take photo's of circuit board and wiring . Thanks in advance

Hi downhal
I've been reading on the forum that you modded his f1a4 yourself. Is there any chance you could pass on the wiring Diag and photo's to do the frequency and timing and gain mods. My f1 already has the vol and threshold MOD done. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Firey10_0 said:
Hi downhal
I've been reading on the forum that you modded his f1a4 yourself. Is there any chance you could pass on the wiring Diag and photo's to do the frequency and timing and gain mods. My f1 already has the vol and threshold MOD done. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Sorry mate, but Downhalo's profile shows that he hasn't been logged on to this site since 5 July 2014, so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for him to answer your query.

Hi grubstake
Do you know anyone that can provide me with any info(wiring dia and pics) on the F1A4 level 2 or 3 mods. Hope you can help. Thanks

Firey10_0 said:
Hi grubstake
Do you know anyone that can provide me with any info(wiring dia and pics) on the F1A4 level 2 or 3 mods. Hope you can help. Thanks

No, I don't know anybody who would have that information and even my usually reliable friend Mr Google has drawn a blank, but I think mbasko is right: nobody is going to give you the info to do it yourself if they can make money doing it commercially. It's like asking KFC for the 'seven secret herbs and spices' recipe!