Heading east of Melbourne

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All, Ive been poking around the goldfields of Vic for a while now, but new to this forum. Been doing a bit of panning, sluicing and detecting. I have the opportunity to spend a bit of time down Gippsland way in the not too distant and was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction. Trying to make sense of where you can and where you cant in the Walhalla area across to Seton is doing my head in. Everything I read seems to contradict everything else.
Hope everyone is having a successful winter of scratching around.

Hi and welcome. Im from gippsland and there are plenty of places to dig. Strong gold history. Im near warragul if you ever want to have a dig im always keen. Best of luck

It depends where you go and who you talk to, Walhalla is a beautiful spot to go to.
If you are there in the creek, please don't set up a highbanker, as stringers creek is on the no go list, but if you go to where the park area is in town you can PAN there.
Just don't dig big holes.
The Thompson is also a no go, there are plenty of creeks that run through the area that you can prospect in, but at this time of year, the water is REALLY cold, and so is the weather. During the summer a lot of them are dry, so its a double edged sword.
Going out of Walhalla towards the campgrounds ( North ) there are creeks that you can go to, just work out where you are going first, as you don't want to go to the wrong creek, and get yourself into trouble, study your maps first.
Oh, make sure you have your Miners Right with you!!
I have been going up that way for years, and as long as you do the right thing, you have nothing to worry about.

I have a map in the car that I have high lighted the creeks I can and can't go into, so there is no confusion when I'm out in the bush. As well as helps me get around.
On another note, unless you have a 4x4 you will really struggle to get to a lot of the area, and at this time of year all the tracks will be closed for the season, so areas are limited. Or you are doing a lot of walking.
Hope this helps you a bit.
If you wan't to PM me for more info, you can when you reach 10 posts
Cheers XIV

Thank you all for the information...all we need now is the weather to get above bloody freezing and it will be all go. Happy hunting to all.

I was there with the kids 2 days ago.
Was just above freezing when we got there.
Took the kids on the railway, and had a look around the town.
I didn't take the pan with me, but spoke to one of the local shop owners, who was happy to have a chat.
The big mullock heaps are now under heritage listing.
Panning in the creek is allowed, and they have no problems with that, but if you dig big holes and not fill them in, then they will have words.
I was told about a bloke last week, that set up a banker, only to have one of the locals ask him to pack it up and not do it there, he told them to get stuffed, so the Ranger and police turned up and put a stop to it, and I'm guessing a nice fine as well.
I had a pan off with the shop keep, where the park is in town.
Water was bloody freezing.
We both ended up with 3 colours each from one pan.
Neither of us wanted to do another pan, as the water was so cold our hands felt like they where on fire.
The long tunnel mine was worth doing, the bloke that does it, is very educational.

The tracks are closed this time of year, tho you can still walk them if you like, and take some stuff for the leachers, they can be quite bad if you hang around the same spot for a while.
Cheers.
XIV

Latest posts