You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

ben2363
29 April 2018 06:05 pm

Found this quartz seem in an old mine.
Do you think it be worth picking some out and crushing it to see if there any gold.

There is a 1.5 meter quartz reef about 5 metres away from this. I'm guessing the old timers gave up because the there no gold in the big reef but is it worth picking some out of the picture below?

1524985501_screenshot_20180429-170312.jpg

Last edited by ben2363 (29 April 2018 06:09 pm)

Eski
29 April 2018 07:34 pm

i'd try it , nothing to loose.... take a couple o samples from different spots though

1 user likes this post: aussiefarmer

aussiefarmer
29 April 2018 08:55 pm

I recently crushed 3 samples from a barren mine that they dug on indicators hoping to hit a rich vien , i got 3 specs from slag like crust , 2 from black/rusty type quarts and1 from white qaurts.
Took photos etc but the yeilds werent worth posting as inconclusive result.

Crushing is learning thumbsup

Wish in one hand and poo in the other , See which one fills up first !

1 user likes this post: RM Outback

Hunting the yellow
30 April 2018 09:21 pm

ben2363 wrote:

Found this quartz seem in an old mine.
Do you think it be worth picking some out and crushing it to see if there any gold.

There is a 1.5 meter quartz reef about 5 metres away from this. I'm guessing the old timers gave up because the there no gold in the big reef but is it worth picking some out of the picture below?

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … 170312.jpg

its got potential looks mineralized and minerals are a good indicator only way to be certain is to crush it up.

I have a golden toilet I don't use it that often only when someone gives me the Sh.ts

ben2363
03 May 2018 01:14 pm

this is about 5 metres away this huge quartz reef is in the mine.
i did a little bit of sample last year out of this reef only 1 kg all up but got nothing out of it..

any one know where gold forms most in a quartz reef as i sampled right in the middle..

1525313477_screenshot_20180503-121004.jpg
1525313523_20180503_120913.jpg

roddosnow
03 May 2018 02:31 pm

Someone with more experience in reef mining may be able to give you a better indication but i would be taking my samples from the contact zones between the quartz vein and the host rock or junctions in the vein and the most mineralised/altered looking parts of the quartz.

Last edited by roddosnow (03 May 2018 02:32 pm)

2 users like this post: Hunting the yellow, Matt80

shakergt
03 May 2018 03:05 pm

Worth a try as you never know. Have you ran a detector over it?

1 user likes this post: Hunting the yellow

ben2363
04 May 2018 10:38 am

why would you take them form the contact zone of the host rock?
im new to this.

no havnt ran a detector over it yet

Northeast
04 May 2018 10:49 am

A few pieces I have picked up with the detector and then crushed up have been exactly what Roddosnow describes - gold between the quartz and the host rock. Why is it there? Someone with more knowledge will answer that big_smile

Gold isn't always there of course. Much gold is right in amongst the quartz with some big speccies showing gold all the way through - nothing to do with host rock.

Crush it thumbsup

2 users like this post: roddosnow, Hunting the yellow

Nanjim
04 May 2018 11:00 am

Smash it and pan off then see what you have ...
You have nothing to loose.....

Cheers Nanjim
Jim

APLA Member. A bad days prospecting beats a good days work anytime....

roddosnow
04 May 2018 01:31 pm

Northeast wrote:

A few pieces I have picked up with the detector and then crushed up have been exactly what Roddosnow describes - gold between the quartz and the host rock. Why is it there? Someone with more knowledge will answer that big_smile

Gold isn't always there of course. Much gold is right in amongst the quartz with some big speccies showing gold all the way through - nothing to do with host rock.

Crush it thumbsup

same as above, the main thing i was getting at was to check it thoroughly and check all parts of it that are accessible as the gold can occur in any part of it or not at all.

All prospecting is exactly that checking prospects, the best way to find out if something is there is to put in the time and effort to thoroughly go over the area, whether that be from sampling and crushing, panning, digging and or detecting. If your research as landed you somewhere be thorough before moving on. Persistence Pays!

Good luck

Hunting the yellow
05 May 2018 04:22 pm

Northeast wrote:

thumbsup

its like a sandwich sometimes you have to remember it was once in a liquid state ( melted ) before it got in there and in a way any quartz reef you see has filled up a gap that was once a crack/fissure in the rock so if its brings in minerals such as antimony arsenic and pyrite chloride copper etc. your more likely to find gold near or next to these minerals because they are always most of the time associated with gold and in certain parts of Victoria they are an indicator of locating high grade ore

I have a golden toilet I don't use it that often only when someone gives me the Sh.ts

4 users like this post: Northeast, roddosnow, jethro, Matt80

Hunting the yellow
05 May 2018 04:34 pm

ben2363 wrote:

why would you take them form the contact zone of the host rock?
im new to this.

no havnt ran a detector over it yet

I would be running a detector over it as this saves time and effort taking samples home and crushing it. but be sure not to bother too much with the floor of the mine as there's always old junk like rusty nails steel spikes that you'll pick up. you know there's nothing but gold if its in the walls and roof but be careful no gold in the roof is worth dying over if you can't get it out safely or if the roof is very weak

as for gold structural controls e.g. geology look for 2 main things one is called an anticline other syncline you'll always get them together but sometimes they are about 1km apart its basically folds in the rock/strata Google them if you have never heard of them remember a syncline is a smiley face and a anticline is a sad face look for them when underground or in road cuttings near these folds or in them you will find quartz reefs in those reefs you will likely find gold a good example is Bendigo goldfield very rich due to these types of folds.

1 user likes this post: roddosnow

Hunting the yellow
05 May 2018 04:37 pm

ben2363 wrote:

this is about 5 metres away this huge quartz reef is in the mine.
i did a little bit of sample last year out of this reef only 1 kg all up but got nothing out of it..

any one know where gold forms most in a quartz reef as i sampled right in the middle..

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … 121004.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … 120913.jpg

dose that quartz reef pinch in and out ? go's wide then really thin over its length ?

1 user likes this post: roddosnow

ben2363
11 May 2018 04:40 pm

the quartz does wide and thin with a few off shoots

aussiefarmer
11 May 2018 08:11 pm

Crush it mate i want some pics big_smile

aussiefarmer
11 May 2018 08:11 pm

I will show you mine if you show me yours lol

1 user likes this post: RM Outback

ken2m
11 May 2018 10:45 pm

One thing to remember is that what was not payable at 1/2 oz per ton, is now looking a lot better, the old miners also had to make a living from what they found, and with the inflated goldfield prices they needed better than 1/2 oz per ton to make ends meet. If you only prospect on the weekend you don't have to get a couple of ozs to have a bit of fun. Ken.

Matt80
20 May 2018 01:24 am

I'm no expert on these things, but from what lve seen/read the main reef may be near barren but it may intersect with other reefs at an angle that have the gold. So you might be following a big thick white quartz reef but only really be interested in the thinner horribly dirty looking quartz (heavily mineralised) reefs that cross the larger reef. In some areas relatively small reefs or stockworks(spiderweb looking quartz) will be quite small but quite rich, but only some of them will be so while one may be rich the next may be worthless. As pointed out countless times by others, hard rock mining requires lots and lots of sampling, the more samples you do the more likely you will understand what's going on in that spot/area. If you just wanted to see if there is anything at all in there then your best bet is to look for the most disgustingly dirty horrible looking quartz or heavily mineralised area next to the Quartz and try that.

1 user likes this post: jethro

ben2363
11 July 2018 10:26 am

hey guys been awhile i plan to go look at the mine this saturday and get a few samples.

how do you guys sample?
just a hammer or pick and hit the rocks out or use a drill bit and that way the rock has turned into powder so no need to crush?

jethro
11 July 2018 11:05 pm

A rotary hammer drill is the go ben, battery powered is the safest choice, generators are bad news around any underground or even shallow workings. Remember to take a dust mask and safty glasses as well as a hard hat and check the walls, roof and floor for loose rock and bar it down before you start drilling as the vibrations may cause a fall.

2 users like this post: Hunting the yellow, Matt80

Hunting the yellow
12 July 2018 01:55 am

ben2363 wrote:

hey guys been awhile i plan to go look at the mine this saturday and get a few samples.

how do you guys sample?
just a hammer or pick and hit the rocks out or use a drill bit and that way the rock has turned into powder so no need to crush?

sample each reef and along it at different points junctions and smaller reefs that join onto the main one. you may also need several small bags numbed 1 to say 20 for each sample when you get home crush in the dolly pot separately and wash out the dolly pot toughly after each sample if you have a rock crusher or hammer mill the crushing is a lot easier and quicker.

weight each sample on scales and after crushing pan off the sand carefully note how many specs or grams are in your pan. normally if I find a lot of fine gold or chunky bits its worth doing more work if im finding 1 or 2 specks in the pan in every sample collected I don't bother going back and doing anymore work/sampling the old miners would have done the same if its not payable its not worth mining. oh and you may want to nail a tag with the same number as the sample into the wall for each sample so you know where it came from.

to sample a simple small pick and hammer and decent old chisel is what I use and one last thing if the rock sounds like a drum when you hit it lightly especially the roof don't touch it as it has unseen cracks behind where your hitting if it sounds like your hitting steel on steel high tone ring to it its safe and can only be taken down by an explosive/blast

Last edited by Hunting the yellow (12 July 2018 02:07 am)

1 user likes this post: Matt80

Hunting the yellow
12 July 2018 02:01 am

jethro wrote:

A rotary hammer drill is the go ben, battery powered is the safest choice, generators are bad news around any underground or even shallow workings. Remember to take a dust mask and safty glasses as well as a hard hat and check the walls, roof and floor for loose rock and bar it down before you start drilling as the vibrations may cause a fall.

that's a great idea however im not sure if your aloud to use a battery hammer drill under the miners right as it states nothing motorised can be used however it doesn't specify what motorized tools you can't use but if your only getting samples I should imagine its not that bad its not like your going to use it to actually mine with it.

ben2363
13 July 2018 11:19 am

Question guys there are 3 main faults in the mine all have been stoped out to one big opening about 15 metres wide.
im assuming they have stoped it all out as everone was saying the gold is mostly in the foot walls of the mine, being 3 reef running in the same line did they crush only the quartz or did they crush the slate and shale to? (is there gold in the shale and slate)

jethro
13 July 2018 04:48 pm

By Faults do you mean faults that have shifted or cut off the reef in its coarse either horizontally (flat fault ) or cross faults, where the 2 halves of the reef have shifted laterally relevent to each other.
Slate and shale beside the reef may well be carrying gold especially if the fliuds that carried the gold have penertrated the wall rock and altered it or deposited a lattice of fine quartz stringers or pyrites.

3 users like this post: Matt80, Jase101, Hunting the yellow

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site