Minelab Equinox tips and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I voted NO because your machine is only 6 months old plus a good machine,how is it on the wet sand.

If it is in the ground you will find it with that machine.

Swing long swing hard swing low :Y:

Haven't used the Garret but there's a couple guys here that can handle them and pick up the goodies.

Still the Nox is pretty versatile and being a user it gets my vote. I'm still under 100 hours on it so still learning it's language, but worth the outlay. I'd like to see a 600 and my 800 side by side though....if the 600 does in parks what the 800 does, then its also at a great price point.

Dollar for dollar the Garrett is certainly no slouch, and a great entry level machine, there's probably some more to get out of it.

I have done so much reading about the nox my head hurts.
OldGT said:
I'd like to see a 600 and my 800 side by side though....if the 600 does in parks what the 800 does, then its also at a great price point.
I think i would be looking at the 800, not that i need the gold mode but does the vdi number display when using in gold?
I like the idea of descrimination in really junky areas i know gold is hiding? Would be good to leave a target knowing its iron or steel on the gold fields.
I am not even sure if the machine will preform like that???

I hesitate to answer but the short answer is yes.

The long is this this.
I found a while back that taking a vlf with ID into junky areas can help find the junk targets....only to realise you still have to in a way pick up the junk to find the gold....so in essence it helps to find the junk to find the gold.

I did clean a few areas up and following up with a pi we still found plenty of junk but some gold all the same.

Basically the area will have to be pretty rich to make it worthwhile, and in the end I found you still need the two detectors, which is fine if you don't have another option, but still very time consuming.

The ID on any machine in heavy mineralised ground will not be accurate to the point all gold falls in one TID and all junk in others. Aluminum and lead can still fool the machine, as can rusty deep steel with a halo.

To be clearer and as to demonstrate my of Fisher puts gold in around 20 to 28, rusty can come in at 20, aluminum at 22 to 32, and lead as low as 24 to 60. Some speci gold can push toward 40. Therefore you still dig a lot of trash. I expect similar results on the Nox albeit I haven't tried it out as yet.

My inference comes from the bottle top/ gold coin TIDs still present on the Nox, and the pulltab/gold ring crossover.

I just accept that junk will still be dug no matter my environment I'm swinging in, or detector used. Just having a coil waving puts you in the hunt.

Hope that helps.

OldGT.

Think i will find out the poll results tonight and share.
Still undecided and still doing plenty of reading / youtube on the Nox.
Told the wife about the poll and she said she may join PA just so she can vote NO!! HAHAHA
But approval is given to get a new detector if i decide to so half way there, will see what my peers think first :Y:

The only down side I can find with the equinox is when you find an old brass bullet casing that is breaking up into tiny little pieces it can take a long time to find them all as they look exactly like the leaf litter in some places .

I spent 40 minutes trying to clear a small hole on an old army base , as I was getting strong signals on matchhead size brass bits.

The votes are in and its a landslide 94% yes.

Thanks for those who took part, i appreciate the comments and will be getting a Nox in the coming weeks now :Y:
The Ace 300 will still be in my arsenal and have its place, hopefully the kids and wife take to detecting and old yella can be the perfect machine.
Bring on the next chapter and the finds, you only live once so why wait if you have the choice

1530792948_screenshot_2018-07-05-21-34-25-1.jpg

Goodluck all :Y:

Nox has been purchased :Y: :p
Now to wait for it in the post 8)
Purchased from Nenad, site sponser Phase Tech ;) thanks mate

I did read it was ment to be released July/August .I will be at miners den on Thursday so will ask them.But I'm sure someone here will know for sure.

orgone500 said:
Hey Smoky. When you say available do you mean cash handed over and physically in your hands or available to order? It's been coming for so long I've become a bit cynical lol.
Hi mate sorry I should have clarified..Its just a little shop so things like that are classed as SPECIAL ORDER...You pay and receive your item within 3 days depending on location of cause..Well that's what he told me any way..Apparently hes delivered quite a few in the last week :Y:Or you can pay and pick up within 2 days :Y:

Latest posts