New forum member

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thanks for the opportunity to join a group of like minded people. I'm from New Zealand and my wife and I holiday in Australia each year over winter months. For the past 15 years we have fossicked for gemstones in most Australian states. For instance last year we travelled 12,500 kms fossicking in North Queensland, Central Queensland, Alice Springs and Cloncurry areas. Found 12 different types of gemstones and detected some gold in North Queensland. Mostly small (tiny) nuggets but one mate who joined us for some of the trip detected a beaut 1/2 ounce nugget in a public area at Clermont. His first time detecting too. I hunt, fish, dive and fossick for gold in New Zealand which doesn't leave a lot of time for work. Interested to hear from any other Kiwis who fossick for gemstones and gold in Australia. Welcome contact from Australians who are thinking of a holiday in New Zealand that involves standing waist deep in a freezing river shovelling wash into a sluice box for a tiny show of gold each day. I can definitely give you some hints about that. Cheers to the good friends we have made in Australia over the years and hope to make more friends through this forum. JOEP

Welcome to the forum mate. Do you have any gemstones NZ? I've often thought that with all the volcanic activity it would be a good place for gemstones.

Latest posts