Bundaberg Original Rum

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SinHof said:
Hey Dr Duck,
Not Bundy but did originate in Queensland, Inner Circle's Red Dot heavy brew, its been sleeping quietly in the back of the grog cabinet for decades. Red Dot has been out of production for decades as far as I'm aware, just waiting for a special occasion to uncap it; perhaps when a significant gold find happens.
Happy drinking, SinHof.https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/972/1531130185_20180709_194305.jpg
I remember in the 80s at my local pub.The (Brackenridge tavern)...if you asked for a run and coke.... that's what you got...Unless you specifically asked for something different .Probably why the night always ended in a blood bath :Y: ;)

Inner Circle Rum was first produced by the CSR (Colonial Sugar Refinery) Company last century for the pleasure of its employees and very special clients - hence the name. From its first distillation, the objective was to make the best rum possible. In 1970, Inner Circle Rum was released into the Australian market and immediately created a cult like following. Those who found the Brand, only spoke of it in whispers but sung its praises loudly! It was originally available in three strengths, Underproof, Overproof and 33% Overproof. The label was instantly recognisable by its coloured circle and became identified as red, green or black dot. However, in 1986, CSR sold their rum distillery interests and Inner Circle was removed from the market. A great Aussie icon disappeared. In 2000 Stuart Gilbert, an Australian Olympic Yachtsman still lamenting the loss of his favourite rum, sought out and became acquainted with Malcolm Campbell who had been responsible for the distillation and quality control of Inner Circle from 1972 to 1986 when he supervised the very last bottling. To Stuarts delight, Malcolm was only too willing to apply his many years of experience to the task of producing a rum deserving of the Inner Circle name. Inspired by this revelation, Stuart acquired the rights to the Brand name and now offers his product to the rum lovers of the world! In 2004, Inner Circle Rum purchased the Beenleigh Rum Distillery which, after some re-engineering, has begun producing the highest quality pot still rums. The Company has also purchased Offices in the old CSR Cooperage building at Pyrmont.

Presently the Rum is produced from Fijian ingredients using the labour intensive pot still method, rather than the continuous distillation method used by most other commercial rums. The pot-still method is generally agreed to produce rums of a higher quality. Inner Circle Rum is made to the same blend and by the same blender as it was when it was last commercially available. The same quality that made it an icon brand has become the standard for the future of this 100% Australian owned company.

Hi 7.62 Marksman,
Many thanks for the CSR Inner Circle story, the bottle I have was purchased thirty odd years back as I remember and it was rare to find back then, it was tucked away behind some other bottles of rum in an old suburban pub; it still has the price tag on it, $52.00. As Nanjim mentioned in his post it could be worth more than the original purchase price today.
Thanks for the other comments folks.
Cheers, Sinhof.

mate it is one to keep hold of
yes it will be worth a lot more then the face price now
i will look around when i get more time today see if i can find out anything for you
some of the csr rum from around that time are selling for over $300 per bottle

Chiron wrote.
Used to love my Bundy and Coke until one night, my mate had to drag me out of a night club because I was trying to pick fights with groups of young fellas (I was in my 40's at the time, they were in their late teens or early 20's). Haven't touched a drop since but I sure do love those Bundy ads on TV.
I know where you're coming from mate ........ if I got on the Bundy no-one wanted to know me ...... it seems to release the inner beast. ]:D

Rob.

Talk about things being stored away for decades. Well, the contents of these two might not be smooth on the palate, but here you go .. Original and never opened Buddy Rum and Cola. The smaller bottle (bloody cockroaches have had a chew on the label) dates back to the early 1940s and was produced especially for the US personnel stationed in Australia during WW11 .. A lot of history around Bundaberg Rum, ay.
Any interested collectors out there, PM me. These two relics need a new home!

1531260216_11939ed7-99d2-448b-b2f7-dc868b763468.jpg

Latest posts