Creswick and surrounds Victoria information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Vombat,
Hope the recent rains have bought some flow back to the systems out Cressy ! Have you any updates?
Will be looking to head that way very soon!

Cheers GG

goldengoose said:
Hi Vombat,
Hope the recent rains have bought some flow back to the systems out Cressy ! Have you any updates?
Will be looking to head that way very soon!

Cheers GG

Apologies !!
To all members. If anyone has recent updates on the Creswick systems would be appreciated.
Thanks GG

goldengoose said:
Apologies !!
To all members. If anyone has recent updates on the Creswick systems would be appreciated.
Thanks GG

Hey GG,

Was out at Creswick RP from last Monday to last Thursday. Slaty Creek is flowing. Earlier in the week it was an inch or two over the rebuilt ford causeway at Camp 1 although it dropped as the week went on - but was still flowing when I left on Thursday.

I expect the anticipated rain in the next few days will boost the flow.

Cheers,

Vombat

Prospecting Marshall said:
bjarvie said:
Just got back from Creswick... set out to test the new Croc Gold Trap... but the place was bone dry :)

These two photos are taken from me standing in the middle of the Creek at the camping ground 1 (end of Slaty Creek Rd) - this is after the heavy rain we had today... The access to camp round 2 onwards is blocked as they are repairing the road from the last floods.

Thought id share just incase someone was planning on heading down thinking to trial some new gear... still great time to swing a machine around...

Have you managed to test the Croc Gold Trap?

Would be interested to see how it goes in Creswick.

Hey mate, just noticed your message.

Yes i have finally had a chance to test out the Gold Croc but not in Creswick it was the last long weekend we had when i was camping in Woods Point VIC in a stream out that way. It was literally a half ass effort in the morning before packing up camp just threw about 20 shovels of material, getting down about a foot just behind what looks like a old truck chassy that would have been sitting there on a bend for the last 50 years...

anyway long story short i did get 3 little bits of colour they were all rough grain type pieces. It was more for me about learning about the flow that it needs for it to work to self clean and what pace i could load it up. I did find that after those 20 odd shovels you would really need to do a cleanup at that point as the little smashing chamber at the front was quiet full. One thing i find frustrating is that you cant see whats really going on in the chamber to tell if you need to slow down or pick up your pace Ive considered cutting out the sides and reinstating some sort of perspex so you have a clear view of the inside. Service wise the guys were great, the unit seems to be of quiet solid construction and most certainly will pickup gold if its there.

Went through today and its flowing lightly through campgrounds 1 and 2.
Can't remember now which campground is which in the pics.

1531036276_20180708_121235.jpg

1531036276_20180708_132835.jpg

1531036277_20180708_132843.jpg

On another note. Was working a patch along Wolfes Rd and there were quite a few unfilled holes left behind.
This one was at least 6 inches deep.

1531036442_20180708_131105.jpg

bad bad bad.

Hi Everyone,

I am wondering where the best place is to find gold in Creswick? My dad and I first tried detecting in a place where there was too much metal rubbish. The minelab we hired went off like a siren. Can't believe how many beer cans are under the ground and old nails.

My dad has a Garrett Ace 250 that he got for $14 second-hand, except the display screen not working which seems to be a common fault with this one. Not worth buying new screen for $300. But it does pick up a tiny nugget I purchased from Sovereign Hill, when I hide the nugget. It is picking up nails and metals inches under.

Any advice to find a nugget in Creswick? Or the closest place to Pakenham. We thought we found one today and dad was nearly hysterical, turned out to be a golden tree root with metal around.

Thanks!
Jade :) :D :rainbow:

try nerina, bottom end, if you are finding trash in the ground it means no ones been there because they would dig it, and you have to dig thousands of them to find any gold

Thanks Tuner, the problem is that heaps of people must camp in there and leave metal rubbish, then nearly every find is some kind of rubbish that is left. I'll try Nerina :rainbow: is that a street name? I have no idea? O:)

Jade

Jadedigger said:
Hi Everyone,

I am wondering where the best place is to find gold in Creswick? My dad and I first tried detecting in a place where there was too much metal rubbish. The minelab we hired went off like a siren. Can't believe how many beer cans are under the ground and old nails.

My dad has a Garrett Ace 250 that he got for $14 second-hand, except the display screen not working which seems to be a common fault with this one. Not worth buying new screen for $300. But it does pick up a tiny nugget I purchased from Sovereign Hill, when I hide the nugget. It is picking up nails and metals inches under.

Any advice to find a nugget in Creswick? Or the closest place to Pakenham. We thought we found one today and dad was nearly hysterical, turned out to be a golden tree root with metal around.

Thanks!
Beaconsfield South, although pretty built up or in water reserve.

Nerina was also called Little Bendigo - it is the easternmost of the three fields at Ballarat, just north of the bypass freeway. You will see a walkway above the highway in the vicinity of the gold workings on the north side of the freeway.

The black squares are mine shafts on quartz reefs (not alluvial shafts). Circles with a dot in them are gold nuggets larger than 15 kg. Alluvial gold leads are also shown as streams. You can see that the nuggets are all on top of or only slightly downhill of the quartz reefs (which are denoted by shafts), even when they occur in streams (in fact a number were above stream level).

1531582230_ballarat_nuggets.jpg

Wow thanks for the info Goldierocks! You know a lot about gold! We are driving up there today, so will try and find the area (I'll show the map to dad!). Hoping tp find something, it's our third drive up today, should gave just stayed somewhere overnight though! Finding metal scraps hasn't put me off yet. I'm quite determined!

I wonder if all the locals go gold prospecting, amazing place! I really like that area!

Would be great if this little ace 250 found a nugget, dad would be super happy haha. Might make him move down from QLD with gold fever.

Thanks again! Really excited now!
Jade

Jadedigger said:
Wow thanks for the info Goldierocks! You know a lot about gold! We are driving up there today, so will try and find the area (I'll show the map to dad!). Hoping tp find something, it's our third drive up today, should gave just stayed somewhere overnight though! Finding metal scraps hasn't put me off yet. I'm quite determined!

I wonder if all the locals go gold prospecting, amazing place! I really like that area!

Would be great if this little ace 250 found a nugget, dad would be super happy haha. Might make him move down from QLD with gold fever.

Thanks again! Really excited now!
Jade
Hundreds of them, many full-time and too busy finding it to blog - but it keeps being found regularly in nuggets of hundreds of ounces (eg 400 oz), many of slightly smaller size sold privately and not mentioned in the media. We have a gold shop in the main street (the Gold Exchange) where you can buy and sell nuggets - although officially in that case.

Hi Goldierocks,

This is a very informative post and map. I was wondering from what publication was this map sourced from,.

Regards
AuTitch

goldierocks said:
Jadedigger said:
Hi Everyone,

Thanks!
Beaconsfield South, although pretty built up or in water reserve.

Nerina was also called Little Bendigo - it is the easternmost of the three fields at Ballarat, just north of the bypass freeway. You will see a walkway above the highway in the vicinity of the gold workings on the north side of the freeway.

The black squares are mine shafts on quartz reefs (not alluvial shafts). Circles with a dot in them are gold nuggets larger than 15 kg. Alluvial gold leads are also shown as streams. You can see that the nuggets are all on top of or only slightly downhill of the quartz reefs (which are denoted by shafts), even when they occur in streams (in fact a number were above stream level).

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/4386/1531582230_ballarat_nuggets.jpg

Hughes MJ, Phillips GN, and Carey SP, 2004, Giant placers of the Victorian gold province, SEG Newsletter no 56, p 1, 11-18.

If you want to find how to get a copy, message me.

Hi Goldierocks,

We didn't find any gold yesterday, but we found lots of old bolts, nails and a couple of coins, one being a 1955 Half-penny. I think we found ourselves just at the entrance of the bush, near the Old Bendigo School, and we walked a lot into the bush. I don't have a 4WD so a bit limited in being able to drive on those dirt roads, which would get into more remote places.

I am not sure if we were searching in the right area? :| :)

Jade

There are holes and dumps everywhere. Follow the fence east along the northern side of the bypass freeway from the footbridge over the freeway. Alternatively, drive east from the Nerrina school on dirt tracks (or walk if too rough).

We saw an area near the St James Church of England that was near the freeway too, bit of junk in there, but looks like could be the place to look too?

Will have to stay overnight oneday to walk in further! Dad still thinks walking further in Creswick too, to get away from camping rubbish.

Wonder if we are allowed to look around Haunted Gully Road in Beaconsfield?

:)

No the church is far too far west - walk east along the freeway fence quite a long way, becomes up and down, near and east of the overhead walkway across the bypass freeway. Workings everywhere (take care). Looks like bomb craters. They continue north (at right angles to the fence) from there for at least a km probably many km.

Haunted Gully produced a fair bit of gold, but houses elsewhere and anywhere inside the reservoir catchment fence is obviously a no-no. I looked in the headwaters but couldn't find anywhere, and had no time to ask property owners for access. Just too difficult for me when there are better areas.

Wow that sounds amazing, will have to have a look there!

I don't think I'll bother checking Haunted Gully then! It's a shame that there is no access/or little access to look for gold in some of those historical places!

Are most reserves off limits?

:) :rainbow:

Latest posts