A beginners guide to lapidary

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shakergt

Moderating Team
Reaction score
I have now manned to have some cryosphase cut and have got my self a dremel for doing small cuts and polishing. I want to know if any one knows of good web sites that show a newcomer what to do when it comes to cutting shaping and cleaning up rocks and gems.

I've never done any carving so I can't help there, sorry.

When it comes to polishing chrysoprase cabs, I've found cerium oxide on felt to be very successful, though I'm sure diamond would work well too.

Will do Wishfull. I am away for a week tomorrow so it will be some time before I get to put some photos up. I used one of these QEP tile cutter from Bunnings to cut the slab. It worked well just had to go very slow and remove something I should not to be able to cut both sides.

1530256642_f0da4fd7-4c97-46ae-b3ae-78d2bdcb5b7f.jpg

if the photo does not work try this

https://www.bunnings.com.au/qep-600w-master-cut-tile-saw_p6654641

Wishfull said:
Like that saw. Might have to get one if those. I have some tiling to do here as well. $89 ?

Wishfull, I have one of these, not a bad little tool, slow and steady and it does a reasonable job, give it a good clean when you done and it will give good service, I reckon it's cheaper now than when I bought mine 10 years ago.

Aussie Sapphire has something simular but they have modified theirs to take a larger blade and you can use them Wet... Watch out using them Dry, as the dust from some stones is very Toxic.. Any 'Quartz' type rock, Amethyst, Smokey Quartz, Rose Quartz is Very Toxic as it is Silica... And will kill you just like Asbestos will..... Silicosis.... And Tiger Eye/Iron is another nasty as it's simular to Asbestos only more Mature, that's the best way to describe it... :N:

Aussie Sapphire has some How-To guides on their Website as well as a Lapidary Forum with Plenty of info to last you for ever...

https://www.aussiesapphire.com.au/i...86_147&zenid=e0b6eb63903ffd904ce86fe382cca1a3
Their Saw comparison Video is well worth watching before you purchase... :Y:

http://aussielapidaryforum.com/forum/index.php?action=forum

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicosis

LW.....

From the Wikipedia page on Silicosis:

"The prevalence of silicosis led some men to grow what is called a miner's mustache, in an attempt to intercept as much dust as possible."

Who knew a mustache could perform a function? :p

Thanks LW.

And will kill you just like Asbestos will..... Silicosis.

In his book of memoirs, titled "In the rough", Bill Hagan - whose family were among the original miners on the Anakie gemfields - recounts a group of miners ending up with it. I'll have to read the book again but from memory they used explosives to blast a quartz outcrop (they were not chasing sapphires) and then because they had all pooled their money it was up to each man to grab as much for himself as he could. The result was that no one wanted to miss out so no one waited for the dust cloud from the blast to disperse, they all raced into the thick cloud to gather whatever it was they were after and inhaled great quantities of pulverised silica. Apparently, some of them were dead less than six months later.

Directly after using Explosives is a very Toxic time as well Lefty.... There are many Hazards in Lapidary where many are Not aware of... I just don't want to hear of Someone getting Ill from it... I have to have X-Rays every 12 months after being exposed to Asbestos back in 1988.... A silent ticking Time bomb....

LW....

1531378314_20180712_142925.jpg

First product finished. When I can get around to it I will take it to the jeweler and get it set in a pendant. I am happy with the result and I think the bit of iron stone colouring at one end gives it some character. I have also made it a bit more symmetrical now.

I'm getting a bit interested in doing a bit of cabbing both at home in the cold weather but also "on the road" when on holidays. The on the road part presents some special problems, mainly size and weight. Would it be possible to buy/make/build a portable ( miniature ) cabbing set up that could be carried easily in the boot of the car or in the caravan (very small ) powered by either a cordless drill or an electric drill set up like a spit

Gilly, you obviously like the finer things in life,
velcro is your friend here. It does work really
well, water comes from a bottle hanging over
it from a stand.cheers.
1533773884_imag4508-min.jpg
1533773952_imag4506-min.jpg
1533773993_imag4507-min.jpg

Latest posts