Best metal detector for kids?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
purplealster said:
Thanks everyone for your input - it is much appreciated.

Some of the suggestions look great however just a little out of his price range. I think for now, he will have to stick to dry sand and if he is desperate for one that can do beach water, he can spend the next few years saving for one.

Thanks again - Adrienne
Just move on it an get him something fast..... otherwise he'll be 18 and it'll be beer beer beer. ]:D

Hi All,

Looking for advice, I have a 14yr old, with a learning disability, who loves detecting with us, now I want to buy her her own detector.

Anyone got advice on a reasonably priced, easy to use detector for fossicking mainly to suit a kid, but not kid sized.

Any input greatly appreciated

Sweet

Any of the Minelab Go-Find series, starting from $199.00 new. They are just a basic detector that doesn't require much fiddling to set up. They're pretty effective and the display is easy to understand. Try Gumtree for a used one and save money. Anaconda stock them and have regular sales. My grandkids use a Go-Find 40 and have a great time with it.

I just got a GoFind 40 for one of my friends son who is 13. I have done some basic tests with it and it seems to be quite good for the money with e4xcellent depth for such a basic unit.

Sweetteeg said:
Hi All,

Looking for advice, I have a 14yr old, with a learning disability, who loves detecting with us, now I want to buy her her own detector.

What machine do you use when you detect?

Sweetteeg said:
Anyone got advice on a reasonably priced, easy to use detector for fossicking mainly to suit a kid, but not kid sized.

If you're fossicking for gold, a Go-Find may not be suitable.

The SDC2300 is a bargain at roughly $3300 at the moment, and is very easy to use, just switch on and go. It depends what you consider 'reasonably priced' means ...

Heatho said:
I just got a GoFind 40 for one of my friends son who is 13. I have done some basic tests with it and it seems to be quite good for the money with e4xcellent depth for such a basic unit.
x2

Ok folks, Deepseeker would really appreciate some advice from the forums coin hunters please.

Mrs Deepseeker has decided that seeing as the kids can't give her a straight answer on what they want for Christmas, she has hand-balled the task to me and it's now my job to find suitable gifts (she always out-maneuvers me that woman. I call her Field Marshal Rommel, which only makes matters worse as her mum is German) :eek:

Anyway, I got to thinking that I could turn the whole thing into a gain by buying the kids metal detectors :D

The thing is, there are a couple of restraints here. Mrs Deepseeker only wants to spend a "couple of hundred bucks each on the kids", but I reckon I could push her to $300 each if I could get her on board with the idea.

My eldest daughter is 13 1/2, and my youngest daughter is 9 1/2. I was thinking that they would get a real buzz out of us going to the beach and looking for goldies in the sand, or even parks or along the river bank etc. I've got a GPX 5000, but I'm sure I could have some fun too if I stuck on a very small coil and we all hunted together, with the kids getting to keep what we find.

The thing is, I know Zilch about coin hunting, and I'm sure just like with Nugget hunting you get what you pay for, and I'm sure there is a coin hunting equivalent to a GPZ 7000 pricewise. But (and this is the big BUT is something that only costs $300 gonna find a kid some coins in the sand? Or is it just going to leave them frustrated and miserable because that kind of money could only buy them a toy?

Thanks for any advice- D.S

My first detector was bought from fleabay for $62 back in 2015
Chinese Knock off ..
But probably paid for its self in the first couple of months swinging in the parks near home.
Spendable's some silver jewelry and pre decimal coins plus a copious amounts of junk..
1576042216_4eba29d8-93b7-49a6-bb37-5c0042ec8c89.jpg

1576042237_e2f089e9-742d-4cef-802b-39ef4192d18c.jpg

Go Find should be good to see if they have the determination to dig all the junk to find some coins and treasures. They could love it or lose interest so probably a good amount to spend to find out.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'm looking up various Go-Finds now and reading all the info. :Y:

Cheers- D.S

Im all for the idea but Im an optimist.

Kids getting out in the outdoors is great, but not sure the budget will do the beach hunt justice, for parks perhaps but I think wet sand gonna need something a little more expensive, its hard going, ive tried it using a couple not suited, just too much noise.

Dry sand not nearly as bad, a go find or better will pick up items of value.

It could be the start of a great thing, but also you could end up with two very unused machines.

My nephew (now 14) was gold mad and came park hunting a few times, went from aldi machine to go find to ace to Racer using his finds, pocket money and his uncles good will to upgrade. But even his now spends a fair bit of time in the shed, right along his little highbanker, hes moved on to camping with his buddies, bigger motorbikes and chasing girls around.

I think later on he will go back to it, but for now his attention elsewhere, its just what kids do, what theyve always done.

Good luck, I hope if you go ahead they love it.

Unfortunately, Mrs Deepseeker has revealed herself to be an enemy of the state. :(

She has put the Kibosh on the kids detectors idea, claiming it's for me not them?? I don't quite understand that logic seeing as personally I couldn't care less about coin detecting. I just thought it would be something the kids could do for fun, and I would happily stick a small coil on the GPX, select Coin/Relic and we could all join in the fun as a family. Unfortunately it's no deal, even in the absence of any ideas of her own.

It's a bummer as I found that BCF have a great Christmas deal on at the moment for the Go-Find 66, at almost $100 off.

Oh well, I tried. Thanks for your help anyway guys

Dave79 said:
Aaaaaah well...... drum kit it is then ;) She'll be happy to trade that in for a detector by January 1!

Nice ploy Dave79 :lol: :Y: if I were you DS I'd push the family time healthy activity internet free wheel barrow :beer: it's worth a shot. I've been down this road more than once now I just do what I think is best for everyone and prove I'm right when everyone joins in and has fun :) ;) :beer:

Latest posts