A Panners Mate

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1528688741_img_20180611_134119.jpg

On a recent fishing trip to Copeton dam I travelled down to Bingara and done a tour of
3 creeks Gold Mine owned by Paul Myer who was a wealth of knowledge and a great host. He makes a product called A Panners Mate which I was taught to use as well as learning to pan. Great fast and easy to use system, I haven't purchased the kit yet but will once I build up funds again.
Cheers Jamie.

AussieChris said:
My head almost exploded watching those YouTubes.

I would not mind trying one out but for $990 cant see it happening anytime soon.
Hi AussieChris,
Know what you mean regarding$$$ however if you are ever up that way for $25.00 drop in and try them out, you may just change your mind. There was a full panners kit there for around $600/$660 and I thought that if I was going to pay that much I would definitely pay the extra for the Panners Mate as there was no comparision for ease of use and volume.

Eski said:
i get that there is IP but 660 for that just doesn't stack up.

Yes I have to totally agree with you there.
The concept I get, and makes sense.
His alone choice to market and package as is.
But an individual package alone with the pan included might be more tempting.
I think price will hinder sales dramatically.

??? Rediculous amount of money , get a large bucket / tub and fill with water , drop a good pan like a garrett super sluice into it with material , and go and buy a hand scarifier from bunnings for about ten bucks , and give it a good stir with that .

I normally classify my dirt with sieves into a plastic washtub full of water before i run it through the sluice or pan it depending on creek water levels , for that sort of money all i can see that im getting , which i dont already have is a fancy dirt stirrer , which i can do with a hand scarifier.

I love seeing new ideas and new gear and I would certainly give it a burl for $25, but like others above suggested, hard to go past a garret super sluice. Side by side I dare say most of us would be able to pan 4 of those small shovels out in the same time.
God knows since the high bankers are gathering dust my panning hours have gone through the roof.

Dirtdemon said:
?.................................buy a hand scarifier from bunnings for about ten bucks , ...................................

Beginners question here:

What is a hand scarifier in this context please?

Think he meant classifier jim. Im a shocker for typos :lol:
and they usually get worse after 8pm on the weekends!
Purely coincidental

Bunnings know them as a HAND Cultivator , i know them as a HAND SCARIFIER as in scratching the dirt creating scar like rips in it.

if needed would be quite easy to stir dirt in a large pan like a super sluice , and a lot cheaper than $900 odd dollars.
Worried about the metal prongs scratching into the pan ? buy a plastic one , probably cheaper again.

1530782715_6bd76abd-8b2e-47be-a7c6-b195d1ecc70b.jpg

Thanks for the reply Dirtdemon.
I have one of those already, so that's one bit of gear I won't have to buy!
I'm going looking for a pan today.

Jim.

Latest posts