Fossicking with kids in Northern Rivers NSW

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So it turns out that most of the Labradorite I recently found, has this amazing inner glow when viewed at the right angle. I just discovered it tonight and it blew my mind! Here are some pictures of one of them.

1530537494_20180702_225357.jpg
1530537534_20180702_225725.jpg

Looks very similar to the material from Springsure. I have a few pieces of that displaying a white shiller and just one with bits of blue.

Actually cuts an attractive stone imo, just a little on the soft side.

That colouration is common in Labradorite, Its the Rainbow Effect that is rare.... Or that's what I have been told anyhow.... There is a bit of Confusion in the term 'Ladradorite' as the stuff Lefty has found is slightly a different chemical composition to the stuff found at Hograth Range and different again to Harts Range.....

Have a look at the Lattice Sunstone, .. there are only 2 locations in the world where it is found and both are in the Harts Range in the NT... But there is only 1 location on record.... ;) I do know where the second is and I will be there next year on a 3 month Fossicking Adventure.... Cant wait... :Y:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_lattice_sunstone

LW....

Thanks Lone Wolf

I checked out the Lattice Sunstone, it's amazing! I found out it's the rarest or one of the rarest gems you can find. Do you know if you can put Labradorite through a rock tumbler? I'd imagine id need a lot more material than what I have now though.

Thanks

Yes you can... But start with 180/220 grit and check every few hours, as being a 'Soft' stone if you use 80 grit, you will find nothing is left after a few hours.... ;) You can use Peanut shells, plastic tumbling beads or pieces of soft leather, as a filler to increase the amount... I wouldn't use 'Other' rocks in with it as these will smash the soft Labradorite while tumbling... Best thing about using peanut shells is you need beer to go with the Peanuts... :p

With the Sunstone... O:)
Oh I wish I could tell you more about what is happening but My lips have been sealed by NT Mines as there is legal action taken by the Government over the mining of the Sunstone... Everything you see For Sale on the net has been Illegally Mined and 'He' is in deep ****.... Couldn't happen to a nicer fellow... And I use that term very Loosely.... :lol:

LW....

LoneWolf said:
With the Sunstone... angel
Oh I wish I could tell you more about what is happening but My lips have been sealed by NT Mines as there is legal action taken by the Government over the mining of the Sunstone... Everything you see For Sale on the net has been Illegally Mined and 'He' is in deep ****.... Couldn't happen to a nicer fellow... And I use that term very Loosely.... lol

Interesting.

Hi Rawcus. I have an entire thread on this forum full of pictures which I cannot locate. And now photos stored on my computer suddenly won't upload to this forum.

Working on finding something to show you :)

Hmm - problem seems to be with photos taken on my tablet and also older photos stored on my computer. Recent ones taken on wife's iphone and transferred to computer upload instantly to the forum. Weird :/

Lefty said:
Hi Rawcus. I have an entire thread on this forum full of pictures which I cannot locate. And now photos stored on my computer suddenly won't upload to this forum.

Sure it's this forum? Three pages on Springsure Labradorite in 'Miners Corner'. ;) :)

Mr Magoo said:
Lefty said:

Sure it's this forum? Three pages on Springsure Labradorite in 'Miners Corner'. ;) :)

Gemmology online?

Definately had it on this forum as well though

Yes. GOL.

I don't remember you doing so much on here but my memory is not exactly the sharpest.

LoneWolf said:
ALF Lefty?? The one We Left... ;)

LW....

Hehe, no mate - a US-based one, Gemology online. Haven't been there in quite a while either.

Here you go Rawcus - Springsure labrodorite I posted at another forum

Some photos of rough on page 1 just after the echidna :) . Facteted stone on page 2. Plus the first piece of my lava collection (I only have a couple of bits but they are very different looking types).

Mr Magoo said:
Yes. GOL.

I don't remember you doing so much on here but my memory is not exactly the sharpest.

Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me? :/

How long since you did a run down to Springsure, Lefty?

I haven't been there in 10 years and wondering if you still have to see the bloke at Mitre 10. I'm doing a run up to Agate Creek soon via Kuridala and a couple of blokes I bump into along the way are usually looking to swap a bit of material - labradorite is sometimes mentioned by them as a sought after stone. Generally, I never take any material with me, but might carry some on this trip.

Jeff

Gday Jeff.

It's probably been over a year since I was there last. Yes, you still have to see them at Mitre 10, it's about $5 per car per day as of last time.

I reckon it cuts a really nice looking stone, quite a lot brighter than the RI would suggest. Only issue is it's slightly on the soft side so I probably wouldn't put it in rings but earrings and pendents should be fine. Probably pay to orient it so that the cleavages are not pressured directly when setting.

Still plenty out there last time I looked. One thing I've found when collecting it by specking is that it's often so clear that whether you see it or not depends which angle the sun is coming from. You can walk over a patch of ground then turn around and walk back over the same patch from the opposite direction and pick up a heap you missed the first time.

Thanks, Lefty.

I'm not into cutting, don't have the patience for it. I will spend hours servicing a fishing reel or rebuilding a gearbox and if I stuff up when putting it all back together then I can start from scratch again - not the easiest thing to do if you make a monumental blunder when cutting a gemstone I've been told.

You are spot on about labradorite being a nice stone, a woman in Rubyvale did an emerald cut on a piece for me some years back and it turned out to be an exquisite stone.

Jeff

Oh, it's rarely a disaster - a mistake made while cutting can almost always be fixed. Often it doesn't even have to lead to a loss of final carat weight.

But yeah, it is very annoying to have to erase an hour or more's work and start over from scratch. Pays to not facet when you're tired - and drink coffee, not beer or rum while cutting :)

I recall asking a geologist (an American bloke, not Goldirocks) why it seems to cut a brighter stone than you would expect from the RI. He didn't know either but agreed that this was the case with a near identical material he collected himself over there and had faceted. Certainly well worth cutting in my opinion, probably just treat the stone/piece the same way as you would opal jewellery - with care.