Sneaky Gems.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tried to buy a Hall xtra as my first machine. Seemed like a great idea considering they are manufactured an hour from where I live. I was told a few months wait. No worries I'm patient. A few months turned into 8 then turned into 12. Multiple phone calls, multiple missed deadlines. So i stopped calling. Didn't cancel my order either. 3 years and counting now. Still haven't got a phone call to say it's ready.

After wasting 12 months waiting for a non existant machine I went for a gemmasta next. I really wanted to support Aussie made. So i rang em up and was told it's a 6 month wait for a new machine.

I was pretty disappointed at that point and just wanted to get on with doing what i enjoyed. So i switched track and looked at the American machines. Ultratec and Facetron. 6 week wait on either machine 2 of which was transit time. Went with Facetron because there was good warranty and great customer service as well as a lot of users so there was plenty of resources for troubleshooting. (also i like the gold :D )

I have no doubt the Aussie machines are great but if they can't supply then why bother. Can't build a buisness with confidence under those conditions.

I can't speak for VJ though. Didn't know they existed when I was looking.

I would have been driving to Lawrie's workshop SC. You would have had the machine a long time ago. Lawrie's son is still in the workshop and Peter T..... lives at White Rock.

Pat Hogen said:
I would have been driving to Lawrie's workshop SC. You would have had the machine a long time ago. Lawrie's son is still in the workshop and Peter T..... lives at White Rock.

Is he the Halls guy PH?

I am chasing a full dop stick kit and a couple of index wheels and struggling to get a response. 8.(

I have no doubt your right Dihusky. And i did enjoy speaking with him on the phone. Nice bloke.

But thats just not how too run a buisness. If someone was going to drop 3k on my services or products I'd at least have the courtesy to keep my customer informed instead of stringing them along and making them chase after me.

Can't fault the machines but the business model needs a revamp.

Wally69 said:
Pat Hogen said:

Is he the Halls guy PH?

I am chasing a full dop stick kit and a couple of index wheels and struggling to get a response. 8.(

Yes, Wally, he is, but I don't know how you are going to get your dop kit and wheels. Perhaps if you contact Lawrie's son and harass them to harass Peter to get your gear. I really don't think Peter is well, of late. I can give you his home # if you do not have it.

These problems with Unamit are not sounding good, they've had a reputation for awesome machines but bloody awful service for a long time. Be interested in seeing how you go Wally as we are picking up a second hand Xtra Cadet for my wife in a couple of weeks, fortunately it comes with everything, but sure would like to get some more dops.

At least I can get dops made locally if I have to, but getting s one off set can get costly.

Finally!!! Got the cutting head back and getting stuck into it.

First things first, I had to do this one for a client as they had been waiting very patiently since I sent the head away to be calibrated. His wife wanted a blue stone for her finger. She didn't like any of the sapphires I had on hand (colour was too blue) so I showed her the last of my blue topaz and she loved it. I have been holding onto this piece for her for a while now.

1.52 carat. One of my new designs called a Skippa Brilliant. 177 facets on a 96 index. A lot of work for a small stone but as a test cut I think it went well. i was quite suprised how well the colour held considering its natural and small. A few small rutile needles made its way in but I guess that just lends to authenticity.

1530708260_20180704_215114_640x480.jpg

1530708272_20180704_215124_640x480.jpg

1530708284_20180704_215132_640x480.jpg

Nice job there SC :Y: I love that pale ice-blue colour.

I'm eager to have a crack at that yellow when dad brings it home.

Great topaz there SC. That's a lovely blue you got going there. And waaay more patience than I. Don't think I've cut above 80 facets. Good going :Y:

SneakyCuttlefish said:
Looks like a neat tool dihusky!! Wish i had one like that for my old graves.

Pretty sure Roughtocut (Anthony) is/has recently knocked a few up

Finally finished playing around with my new design on Rej's awesome software. This one is called a Red Dawn Brilliant. It's designed specifically for garnets but performs really well in a wide band of RI's.

96 index, 121 facets and a mix of 8 and 12 fold symmetries. In garnet this cut provides a crazy 50 degrees of tilt before pavilion windowing occurs. Which means this design stays flashy from almost any angle you would normally view it from in a ring.

This stone is a tiny Harts range garnet measuring 5mm and super tricky to photograph. Its too small to really do the cut any justice but the colour is exquisite. I'll be cutting a calibrated twin for it next.

I would love to cut this in a big garnet so the stunning inner image can be seen for all its glory but sadly I am running low on good quality garnet rough 8.(

1537218053_20180917_222811_640x599.jpg

1537218015_20180918_064805_480x640.jpg

Very nice there SC :Y:

Glen Huntly sells some excellent garnet rough, though I'm not sure how you go about getting it without meeting him face to face. I got mine from him at the Anakie Gemfest a little while ago. I think at least one of the rough dealers would mail you a parcel of stones and you could select out which one/s you wanted and then mail the rest back.

Latest posts