Coiltek 105 mono

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently bought the Coiltek 10x5 mono as an unused 2nd hand item off fleabay. It definitely looked unused when it arrived. I took it for a spin and picked up a nice speccie on it's first outing, so I guess it works :)
It's a quiet coil, runs nice and smooth, but I did find it very bump sensitive and was wondering if that is standard for this coil?
The falsing ensured I was moving slow and carefully as I detected, so I guess that's a positive. Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience with this coil.

falsing at the end of the swing can be caused by a slight raising of the the coil at the end , disrupting ground balance :Y:

Thanks ctxkid... yes i definitely agree, but the falsing i was referring to was more as you bump into an object as part of your side to side swing i.e. branches, rocks, grass clumps etc

How old is it?
Contact Coiltek - they might be able to do something for you if it's not too old?
I had a Coiltek coil that was very bump sensitive (not 10x5) & they replaced it :Y:
Have heard of a few different Coiltek coils being a bit bump sensitive though - not ideal for a small elliptical coil that you would no doubt be using for tight areas etc.
P.s I've had a Coiltek 10" x 5" in the past & it wasn't bump sensitive at all.

Thanks mbasko and Harry... I was considering contacting Coiltek, but as it's 2nd hand, I wasn't sure they'd be interested.

I'm not sure how long the previous owner had it, but I've only had it a couple of weeks.

Might shoot Coiltek an email

The reply...

"Thank you for the contact and the image.

The smaller coils can sometimes be more sensitive to responses compared to larger coils - so some extra noise can be expected. Well done on getting a specie on the coils first outing! It seems the coil is doing what it is meant to do. We suggest to run off the ground slightly for a smoother operation.

Best of luck!"

Oh well, looks like it's not so low and extra extra slow for me :D

Yeah I suppose it's a toss of the coin at times. I probably should have asked if it still had any warranty.

I sent a reply to Coiltek clarifying the issue a little more and said if nothing can be done all good. Thanked them for their help and left it there.

Received another reply...

"Just thought I would answer your query here.

We can expect some bump sensitivity from the smaller coils but not too much as I can appreciate it is frustrating.

As this coil is not in warranty you can send it in for a service check but we do have a small charge for this.

From this we can identify if there are any internal issues causing your noise. We have a bump test here which we carry out for problem coils if they arise"

Might send it off for an inspection at some point

So.... just a quick update

Recently sent the coil off to be tested. Being the impatient twit that I am I kept emailing for updates. Received a call this Monday past saying the problem was in the lead, and they were puzzled as to why as all connections etc were fine. So basically its like it was detecting the lead.
Without hesitation, even though it was 2nd hand and out of warranty, they said they'd send me a new coil! The new coils have an improved lead as well.

It's already in my grubby mitts!

I can't thank them enough!

Well done Coiltek, well done :clap: :clap: :clap:

1554253459_screenshot_20190403-120326.jpg
1554253480_screenshot_20190403-120329.jpg

Latest posts