Garrett AT Gold Information, Questions, Settings and Tips

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G'day foks,

I'm about to buy Garrett at Gold metal detector, can anybody give me some feedback please? Or should I buy something cheaper for begging ?

Cheers
Ramazan

Hi Ramazan
I started off with a Garrett AT Gold and never found any gold for 6 months, and in that time detected for a day every second weekend in the Vic Golden Triangle.
I found gold straight away after getting a GPX4500.
If you are wanting to find gold I wouldn't waste my time with an AT Gold. Sorry for the bad news.
Dig'n-it

Hey Ramazan, I have an ATG and bought it as a start knowing I may or may not use it in the gold fields but hope to give it a chance
Here's what I use it for
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=18541
In the end it will always have a part of my rescue recovery team but knew I needed something along the highend minelab range, sdc or gpx
It's a worthy coin shooter but it would find gold if it was there but so would an aldi detector :eek:
If I were you I'd try and organize a training day or a gold tour ;)

Dig'n-it said:
Hi Ramazan
I started off with a Garrett AT Gold and never found any gold for 6 months, and in that time detected for a day every second weekend in the Vic Golden Triangle.
I found gold straight away after getting a GPX4500.
If you are wanting to find gold I wouldn't waste my time with an AT Gold. Sorry for the bad news.
Dig'n-it

Thanks for the advice I will definitely check it out

Cheers

Got a At Max last 15 weeks going to gold fields every one has found gold but not the At Max

Mackka said:
Old thread, however, I was just wondering how the AT Gold goes on damp sand i.e.not wet but damp

Pretty poorly, in my limited experience, as - like most single frequency VLFs - it doesn't handle salinity at all well. You could try turning the sensitivity way down and continually re-ground balancing I guess, but I don't think you'd get much depth out of it then.

This is what the AT Gold User Manual says:

Because the AT Gold is optimized to find small gold pieces,
saltwater use in not recommended for this detector. Its ability
to find small gold makes it equally reactive to the conductivity
of saltwater. This detector's ground balance adjustment is
optimized to provide the greatest resolution in the normal
ground range and is not designed to address saltwater. The AT
Gold will, however, perform well for hunting coins and jewelry on
dry sand beach areas.

There is some utube clips of it working in the wet salt sand etc, but yes, have to turn the sensitivity down
and keep the ground balance renewed when crossing over some areas. Same with the ace400i for
instance, found a few clips of it being used in salt wet beach etc. I even tested that idea just out of
curiosity. Have had the odd report from customers that they have got their Atgold and ace400i to
work okish this way.

Cheers.
happy hunting.

Latest posts