Whats going on with this coin?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi members, I found this florin a while ago. Could anyone tell me what was done to the letters F, L and slightly O.
93982419_46_B4_405_E_824_D_3_B1_DC0_E123_BC.jpg

99_DE843_B_DCD8_49_DB_A851_33_D8143_CEA71.jpg

Thanks eve

If it was heat you would think the surface area between the F&L and the Crown would have been affected as well. 8)

Looks like some ware markings. The other thing I can think of is a damaged die in the processing of the coin. If that is the case it will add value to it. You would have to get it checked out by a professional to be sure

Well, the coin had been casted to copy the original, interesting thing was that they tested it for purity aswell and it was 94% silver. Oh well no die error.

Cheers eve

Was it cast for the jewellery trade? As soon as I saw it I said it's a cast, all the wear is in the wrong places and you can see pits from high spots on the mould. It is a fair casting, but, it would never pass for a die struck coin if somebody was to take a good look at it. Fake coins are meant to pass as change, this way they go unnoticed. Casting a pre decimal means it will be immediately scrutinised, which is not what a forger wants. The colour looks a little off and the purity is high, have you taken it to a coin dealer? Fakes 'are' collectable in their own right, seeing this is a 'war years' coin two things come to mind, criminal activity, someone trying to rid themselves of silver by casting coins (would account for the purity) and lastly the Japanese produced "invasion money" notes, to be used in a conquered Australia. It remains a mystery........

Yeah that intriguing info thylacine, several coin dealers confirmed its been casted. the coin now has some kind of providence and glad to have somthing confirmed.

Cheers eve