How Does It Get So Deep

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Nice afternoon so I went to a local park for a swing ( sorry Heatho O:) ) detect. I'm now pretty sure this place has never been hit before, just so much crap under the ground from foil out of ciggy packets, ring pulls, rusted bottle tops etc but nothing of interest or value.
What does intrigue me is how does some of this rubbish get so deep

1530093720_img_20180627_141720.jpg

That RP is down about 180mm :rolleyes:

And some of the junk

1530094396_img_20180627_200744.jpg

Smoky bandit said:
Every time it rains it sinks just that little bit deeper ..The heavier it is the faster it sinks :D :Y:
Thanks you have answered something i have been thinking about for a while now
See i got tought something today just goes to prove you are never to old to learn :Y: :Y:

Gravitational pull and magnetic forces pulling towards the centre of the earth?
Full moon and tides?
Pirates and buried treasure?

I think it is one of life's unanswered questions, a conundrum of sorts, something to contemplate and discuss around a fire with a cold beverage in hand. :/ :/ :/

Here's a poser-

What would sink faster/deeper, a Forin (bigger, heavier coin but more resistance), or a Threepence (smaller, lighter coin but less resistance) ??

Interested to hear thoughts.

Worms, ants, and minibeasts that dig soil for a living remove soil from under objects at different times helping the sinking process. The subsurface life zone only goes down so far with varying soil conditions also adding or subtracting from that depth (as does the above ground growth conditions that dictate the humus potential within the soil). So the sink potential of an object will be dependent on differing variables not the least of which would be the grounds capacity to be mealeable and viscous when fully saturated.
Add to this the cloven hooves of above ground beasts of burden sinking into wet soils and pushing objects deeper even quicker than what nature could do unassisted, and with mans top dressing or turning over of soils in his attempt to bend Guya to his will thrown into the mix we have quite a potential for variation of depth with any given type of find.
All one can do is look and take in every aspect related to their finds in order to be able to predict within the search, things normally unobtainable that may help them to turn either left or right towards greater rewards. ;)

7.62marksman said:
Smoky bandit said:
Every time it rains it sinks just that little bit deeper ..The heavier it is the faster it sinks :D :Y:
Thanks you have answered something i have been thinking about for a while now
See i got tought something today just goes to prove you are never to old to learn :Y: :Y:
There are other forces in play as well mate..Wind ..Gravity...animals..Bugs ect ect ect....But as I sat on my deck over the course of a few months watching the rain drops pound and splash dirt over a 10c piece to eventually cover it with 2inches of dirt and gravel I think rain is the biggest contributor. :Y: :D

That humus level would be like an elevator downwards over time too(to a certain level) with constant growth and death of even just the grass going on above the object.
And dont even get me going on the constant rain of space dust falling on to the planet from above..... 8) (don't look up... you'll get grit in your eye's :lol: )

Lookout......
thats not a sterling ring pull is it mate ? :lol:
1530134245_screenshot_2018-06-28-07-15-32.jpg

also silt gets washed onto some areas and or gets deposited after minor flash flooding .
johno

texta said:
also silt gets washed onto some areas and or gets deposited after minor flash flooding .
johno
We always used to bury rubbish not leave it lying around - nowadays the custom is (should be) to take it away.

ChrisD said:
Here's a poser-

What would sink faster/deeper, a Forin (bigger, heavier coin but more resistance), or a Threepence (smaller, lighter coin but less resistance) ??

Interested to hear thoughts.

Depends on the site and type of soil, I've had one site that provided many smaller silvers at depth vs florins and coppers being much shallower. Guess there is less resistance from smaller coins working their way down through the soil, also explains why sometimes you can find BB's deeper than larger predecimals.

Agree. Most sites I hunt I've found the smaller/lighter coins are always deeper. Which surprises me given gold, lead and the heavier metals etc always find bottom. I naturally thought the heavier coins would do the same. Clearly basic physics is at play here, resistance, shape, size etc.

Latest posts