Minelab Equinox tips and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you intend to chace gold around the creek beds ect the 6 inch will be great.Really cant see the 6 inch out performing the 11 inch to much.As heatho said it separates really well .The only real advantage will be you can get it into smaller areas.

I've been reading through all of the NOX threads lately and I get the impression that it is a very capable machine. Been considering purchasing one. HOWEVER....

My dilemma is that I have a Minelab explorer II and it blows most machines away when it comes to relics. Great on wet sand at the beach but I haven't really given it a go in the GT as I have a GPX4500 to do cover that end of town. The main problem with it is that you have to go slower and its heavy enough.

What I know so far...

The NOX800 uses Multi IQ, it transmits 8 frequencies simultaneously. Its faster processor, lighter, has bluetooth, the TID seems pretty constant on targets?

The Explorer II uses FBS, Full Band Spectrum, it transmits 28 frequencies Simultaneously, seriously great depth, you have to go slow in junk areas, its heavy, the sounds are more accurate than the TID which can jump around a bit so you have to train your ear.

Just wondering has anybody used both machines?

I regretted selling the ExpII before and picked up another one and I swore to myself it will remain in the arsenal forever!

I've considered a NOX for the weight savings, the EXPII is over 2kg from memory versus the NOX @ 1.3 KG

Has anyone used and compared both machines that can comment?

Mods if this is in the wrong thread move as required.

groovydudes said:
Actually, scratch that. I cancelled my NOX order from Anaconda because they said my order failed. When I rang them, they said they expected DOUBLE the amount of the purchase for "security" in my PayPal account!!!!!!!!

Paypal sucks so bad imho. I never use PP if I have any other choice :p

Great machine, gets coins very deep plenty of coins I missed with other machines. Easy to use and lightweight, very quick target separation. I love the thing for coins and relics. Testing on gold targets undug and located with the sdc tells me that you won't be pulling any nuggets under probably 2 grams out of a trashy area and you'd be lucky to get a half grammar at a couple of inches in WA goldfields I reckon.

Westozadventures said:
Great machine, gets coins very deep plenty of coins I missed with other machines. Easy to use and lightweight, very quick target separation. I love the thing for coins and relics. Testing on gold targets undug and located with the sdc tells me that you won't be pulling any nuggets under probably 2 grams out of a trashy area and you'd be lucky to get a half grammar at a couple of inches in WA goldfields I reckon.

I'll be out bush looking for gold with the Nox 800 for 5 days this month. Your test results are depressing!

FNQ said:
Westozadventures said:

I'll be out bush looking for gold with the Nox 800 for 5 days this month. Your test results are depressing!

I wish you the best of luck mate, I'd be interested to see what you can turn up, I have found gold nuggets with every machine I have owned except for this one so far but still early days yet.

Thanks mate. I wonder if it would perform better on gold with a different coil? I know stuff all about gold prospecting.

What are the positives using the multi frequency option -

What are the negatives using the multi frequency option -

Too many variables...

Depends on your target and ground conditions... SOME targets may give a more stable tid with a selected frequency.

Multy may punch deeper if you do not know the ground but TIDs can be a bit close with items that have more than one material...

Like asking what is better Auto OR Manual in a car... All depends on who is driving and the conditions.

That is the question..??..??

I got my current Garrett Ace 300 in Jan to see if i enjoy the coin and relic hunting as a sideline to gold detecting.
Having a blast so is it worth upgrading given my dector is semi decent already and only 6 months old?
I like the idea of bigger coil for more coverage but is the performance of the machine that much better?

Latest posts