Unknown Green Crystal/rocks need identifying

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
shakergt said:
I can definitely confirm that the green is not chrysoprase. I have some that I obtained from an old Chrysoprase mine and it looks nothing like it.
You are better than me then, given the photo quality.....
1529549445_chrysoprase.jpg

chrysoprase from Wingellina
1529549445_chrysoprase_possible.jpg

brumble-gums unknown

Heatho said:
The nodular stuff in the second photo from the top looks a little bit like prehnite to me.

Hardness would tell - prehnite is almost as hard as quartz.

Prehnite forms balls but rarely shows good crystal faces like that, Which is why I thought it was calcite like this. But calcite is hardness 3.

1529549745_calcite.jpg

compare with the unknown:

1529550209_calcite_possible.jpg

I'm more familiar with a distinct green for prehnite, and with more radial crystals (when present) in the balls:

1529550599_prehnite.jpg

It was the hardness and nodules that gave me the idea for prehnite but yeah just a rough guess to throw in the mix GR.

As you said too with the crystals I thought calcite straight up , bit of a mystery now.

I am thinking Prehnite might be right!
Some more photos I took today, with other phone. Hopefully this helps.
Yes, there is white soft chalky rocks also associated with these. Once exposed to the elements it seems to breakdown to dust.

1529570464_imag0113.jpg

1529570440_imag0112.jpg

1529570383_imag0110.jpg

Are you absolutely sure of the hardness, as nothing else will help with just photos of outcrops (close-ups might help a bit). I agree that prehnite remains a possibility...

goldierocks said:
Although Kadaitcha was supposedly not practiced after the 1930s, a pair of boots (emu feathers held together with blood) were found by a mate under a rock ledge in perfect condition.

Just txt'd the out laws who ran the store there till last August last year and he, Kadaitcha, was still being sighted around town then. Apparently one of the community members husband went mad after seeing him (that happened before they took over the store).

Heatho said:
The nodular stuff in the second photo from the top looks a little bit like prehnite to me.

The award goes to.............. Heatho!
Well done with your identification. Spot on!
Prehnite it is, with Malachite inclusions. White to clear rocks associated are Zeolite.

I can now sleep peacefully!

White to clear rocks associated are Zeolite.

Cowlesite?

A zeolite with a chemical composition very similar to prehnite, orthorhombic crystal structure and quite a bit harder than calcite (getting out of my depth here :) )

Must be at least a little bit of copper there somewhere given that the inclusions are malachite.

I know it is a last year's post, but...Pic 1 looks like chrysocolla, ( cu) and Pic 2 is prehnite. Tonnes of the stuff in a basalt bar across the Ord River WA.

Cheers, Bobj.

Latest posts