Meroo nsw

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi. Thinking of doing some exploring this weekend up around Hargraves area and the meroo river pops up. Does anyone know how to get to it. On google maps there looks like a track but its a dirt road and Im unsure if its a private rd plus I only have a rear wheel drive car. If anyone can point me in the right direction would be appreciated. Thanks

I have been down to the Meroo River a few times. This is a long river accessible via many roads and tracks. PM me to discuss potential locations.

Road is public and good quality. I usually access from the Sofala end, then Hill End road etc (but from memory it is easiest to come off the B55 to Mudgee then the Queens Pinch Rd to Queens Pinch, then west, but as I recall all roads shown are public and fair quality dirt). Be warned that I am always in a 4x4 though....not sure if any washouts.

I could be tempted to pop out this weekend mate. The track that follows the merro from top of hargraves directly to Windeyer a public rd. But most of it is private land either side, + 4x4 track, a rav4 can get through it. The meroo continues through to Mailand bar, 2wd tracl, some accessible spots. Not a lot.
Should be a drop of water in the Louisa creek at Hargraves common.
PM sent.

1529485007_1529476670_meroo.jpg

The track to windeyer from hargraves is called windgraves road. Im not sure there is a sign on the hargraves side though. Lots of old diggings along the creek on that road. A good spot for crevicing upstream from the local swimming hole . All private property as mentioned.
Best tackled in a 4x4. Another good spot for panning is the TSR at the bottom of tuckers hill (just before the first meroo bridge crossing heading towards mudgee.a few old mullock heaps along the creek there.
Another tsr at the start of maitland bar road (a few mullock heaps there too ) access to the creek at the bridge further down maitland bar (that is thevfurthest I've been, here may be more access further down stream).

Latest posts