Camp Set Up Tips & Tricks Plus Products That Work And Those That Don't

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Goldchaser1 said:
Lefty said:
Yeah, we bought ours while ago, probably 10 years or more. The main problem seemed to be the connection to the inverter, a sparky was with at the time did a temporary fix with a piece of alfoil and it worked ok for the rest of that trip. But continued having problems (I think there was an issue with a fuse like you mentioned) and eventually we ended up with an Engel which has been problem free (though not used much since we don't camp much anymore.)

Oh so you mean the 240 volt charger-inverter thats comes with them?
Most of what ive read on the fridgemates is usually happy campers,bummer you problems mate.
Got a 6 week trip coming up,we have a 80 waco the boss pick up cheap a cuppla yrs ago like new,only used it a few times but we need the extra space,last yr the top panel switches started playing up,i fiddled for days with it but not alot of luck,weaco dont sell the panel anymore for that model so i had to buy a conversion kit off a mob,later switch panel,later control panel and wiring,basically replace near all the electrics.
Got it done and just sat it on the lawn and ran a long extension to the trailer (10mtr fold out panel lead with anderson plugs on it),ran fine all looked good,next day i fired it up again and it was playing up,compressor would kick in then just stop,a bit worried i lifted it onto the fridge slide and plugged it in where it normally is,bingo no probs,voltage drop over that lead the next day and the fridge wouldnt run,amongst my reading on the net while fixing that fridge etc quite alot of people have problems with wiring not large enough over 1-2 mtrs to the fridge or 12 volt ciggy plugs not giving a good connection either,fridges go into limp mode or whatever cause they have a low voltage cut off,batteries are fine but its actually wiring not up to scratch,i bypassed the weaco plug also,fridgemate will be getting this treatment tohttps://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/9528/1528674770_95b16001-144d-4155-8842-3d2950e9051f.jpg

I have seen that done many times

1529657707_86585e5a-45bd-4a9b-a1ba-ca46fd4bb0ec.jpg
1529657656_643f96a9-a6e9-47f2-9787-2976b467891a.jpg

1529657759_2f228bca-b7b2-46c6-9575-54dcb0f0b89b.jpg

Made use of this old jerry today,now a small rubbish bin.....

Made use of this old jerry today,now a small rubbish bin / quote

Gold chaser I have two that I carry kindling and firewood in, found a third the other day in a clean up which I will convert to carry all my camp lighting in.

Nice job on yours. :Y: :Y:

Manpa said:

Gold chaser I have two that I carry kindling and firewood in, found a third the other day in a clean up which I will convert to carry all my camp lighting in.

Whoever thought of it first Manpa was a smart bloke,we usually have the crushed cans in the trailer or ute leakin from the garbage bag for a cuppla hundred klms,my missus drinks like a fish, LOL

Goldchaser1 said:
Manpa said:

Whoever thought of it first Manpa was a smart bloke,we usually have the crushed cans in the trailer or ute leakin from the garbage bag for a cuppla hundred klms,my missus drinks like a fish, LOL

Google jerry can bar, there are some high class conversions on show, might be just the thing for your missus! :lol: :lol:

Manpa said:
Goldchaser1 said:
Manpa said:

Google jerry can bar, there are some high class conversions on show, might be just the thing for your missus! :lol: :lol:

Manpa I am in the process of doing just that. The bars look great :Y:

Got tired of loosing the pillows in the soft floor camper trailer so I knocked up a quick headboard out of 25mm PVC and 3mm project ply plus a couple of homemade swivel brackets for it to attach to the camper bows. Also knocked up a bed rail which just tucks under the mattress and keeps the blankets in place plus stops mum from falling out of bed!
Just need to clean up and paint. Super lightweight and easy store. Two Velcro pockets to fit to bed head for glasses etc will go at the ends where there is no plywood.
1529730604_image.jpg
1529730623_image.jpg
1529730646_image.jpg

Got fed up of trying to keep the rain of the gen set, so I made this up out of poly pipe and a few different fittings. The Ends are glued together, the pipe is a push fit to assemble/disassemble. The canvas is held on by 3 occy straps and holds the whole thing together.
1529822484_cover.jpg

2 galv saddle clamps and tent pegs for a hinge
1529822515_hinge.jpg

Another tent peg the opposite end with some string to hold it down if it's windy
1529822515_in_case_of_wind.jpg

Lift the end opposite the hinge to access refuel and start etc.
1529822547_open_to_start.jpg

I also noticed that in some areas, mud and slopes, that water can rush through in heavy rain, so feet are made of 75mm end caps and a bit of pipe to keep the genny off the ground.
1529822562_feet.jpg

I normally place under the annex (opposite end from van door) with the power outlet pointing to the van and the cover right up to the van wall and it opens easy. (Genny is padlocked with heavy chain to the van wheel)

It's been through some bloody heavy rain and winds and passed with flying colours :)

Great idea / build Condor22 :Y: the clamps and disc's (end cap stands) threw me I looked at it for about 10 minutes trying to work it out. Never would have come up with that answer.

Latest posts