Pin Pointing with the Deus, How Accurate is It ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Tried a park yesterday that had no signs of previous detecting, :lol: , so I spent a couple of hours having a play for 4 ring pulls, 3 bottle tops, a piece of wire, a 2c piece and a 10c piece.

It was the 1st time Ive tried using the pin point function on the remote, but when I dug the targets I was missing them by a couple of inches, which is a lot in a pristine park.
I was zeroing as accurately possible then hitting the pinpoint button and moving the coil untill the black square was tiny and the signal was screaming in my ears.

My other thought ( I do have em at times) was to mark the area with 4 golf tees at the cross of the coil to be more accurate

Thoughts please

Two ways I pinpoint with the Deus, one is to run an "X" pattern over the target in pinpoint mode with the coil to centralise the target (sweep back and fourth over the target, then turn perpendicular to the target and sweep again). The other method which I have been more regularly using is the "wriggle back" method which does not involve the actual pinpoint mode. In practice it is very quick and quite accurate, and involves drawing your coil back off the target wriggling the coil from side to side, and when the target tone gradually disappears, it will be located at the very tip of your coil.

This clip probably explains it best.

[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/Kh5Z12tS3e4[/video]

Cheers GoldPick Nice Video share mate.

Remember too that pushing the pinpoint button again narrows the range down, Just like re-tune on a pinpointer. Thats a good way to make pinpointing easier.
If you delve right into that button you'll see there are several PinPoint or NON Motion modes.

NON Motion means you don't need to move the coil to hear the target.

Including Discriminating NON Motion, or a pinpointer with discrimination! Check that out Keith it's a complex little system behind that pinpointer Button.

Having said that I still think Goldpicks wiggle back method is the easiest and fastest, 2 wiggles from 90 degree angles and most times its pretty close to the XP sticker on the front of the coil.

Cheers Big fella Happy Hunting

Clegy

When you first pin point using a DD, Press and hold the pin point and as the target starts to get louder release and repress the pin point again and that will desensertise the machine so it remains focused on that target for as long as you hold the button down, DD's can be a bit harder to pin point with because you have to rely on where you place the "X" over the target where as with a concentric it should always be in the middle,

Hope that helps.

Me to having difficulty pinpointing with deus. I use X method and wriggle back( Gary`s) but When I went to a park with hand digger I do not want make big cut, target were on the edage and of course I hit them. In other park, I cut bigger plugs with bigger digger so No problem. I think with practice, you can almost see through target!

Really glad to read that you're back out detecting xcvator and that you've still got the deus to do that with. :Y: :Y: :lol: :lol: :lol: :Y: :Y:

Ok, so I have a problem.( apart from drinking ) I'm missing the targets by about 50mm pretty consistently to the left of the target and a bit short of the target.This might not be a problem out in a paddock, but in a park it's a hole different story, so would this be operator error, settings or a hearing problem ?

I found this out today while practicing in the back yard. A $2.00 coin buried down 100mm and the location marked very accurately with a sliver of wood at ground level. I'd step back and close my eyes and start sweeping untill I got the signal then did the wiggle untill I recconned I had the target but every time I was missing it by50mm or 60mm

Imagine a clock face where the target should be on the edge of the face at 12 o'clock, but it's at 1 o'clock and outside the face by 20mm

1531308732_clock.jpg

i think when I pinpoint using that method it's more of a subconscious thing with me. I just approximate the location and dig a flap further back to where the the coil was sitting, just to give a bit of leeway to ensure I don't dig into the target. So for me the pinpoint doesn't have to be 100% correct, as long as it encapsulates the target and prevents it from being a casualty of the digger.

Latest posts