Steel Phase Amplifier

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Northeast said:
Well done Jen.

4.72 gm is a heavy earring :D

In what way has the SP01 allowed you to change the settings on the Z or have you left things at default?

Hi Northeast..... yea that one is a bit bigger than the others, it set the hook and kept me coming back to that patch and I keep finding the others about every other trip, sprinkled among the 20 acre parcel.

I'm way too new on the SP to give any advice on it. I just found that on filter 1, the weak signals really bounced through the background. I'll report more as I learn the machine, there have been a lot more experienced before me. Suffice it to say that these little ones were pretty deep and maybe it was the stereo effect but it seemed to make a much different sound than it makes when using the regular WM12, the audio filters make a difference for sure. I'm a ham radio operator as well and we know how much different DSP can make to the audio path...

PS: But to answer your question, I just left it default as it was before, using the volume on the SP as the main volume.

Jen

Great stuff Jen, definately from the one dye lot 8)
You gunna leave the quartz in em ?
I broke a muff off my Gog headphones the other day out bush and borrowed me mates Coss ones from his 4500 whilst he used a speaker
and that was a chore on its own getting used to, all hail the SP01 :D

Mungass said:
Great stuff Jen, definately from the one dye lot 8)
You gunna leave the quartz in em ?
I broke a muff off my Gog headphones the other day out bush and borrowed me mates Coss ones from his 4500 whilst he used a speaker
and that was a chore on its own getting used to, all hail the SP01 :D

Hi Mungass, oh for sure, quartz stays in, I do a little CLR bath of them, then ultrasonic clean them and then I'll sell them off in pairs for earrings. :)

SteelPat / PhaseTechnical

Used the unit over the weekend but found little other that tiny scrap bits of iron and lots of grey gold...

However I did tend to leave the unit on... Would come back to camp and gear in teh back of the car all ready as we would stop at a number of test sites for a swing...

Get back and Headphones removed and sdc2300 off... But I would forget sP01 and have to charge in the morning... USB inline meter would indicate a 1A charge rate...

I did some work some time ago and it was possible to get a 6.35 stereo socket that also had the ability to be wired to be an ON/Off switch. We used in the medical field on hearing test units... They were often left on, yet the headphones were always removed when not in use; so this was a simple change that save some grief for those working with the mobile testing units...

Not had a look recently and as I have not pulled the sP01 apart; not sure if a mod is possible...

Just putting it out there for possible review for future changes :)

AngerManagement said:
SteelPat / PhaseTechnical

Used the unit over the weekend but found little other that tiny scrap bits of iron and lots of grey gold...

However I did tend to leave the unit on... Would come back to camp and gear in teh back of the car all ready as we would stop at a number of test sites for a swing...

Get back and Headphones removed and sdc2300 off... But I would forget sP01 and have to charge in the morning... USB inline meter would indicate a 1A charge rate...

I did some work some time ago and it was possible to get a 6.35 stereo socket that also had the ability to be wired to be an ON/Off switch. We used in the medical field on hearing test units... They were often left on, yet the headphones were always removed when not in use; so this was a simple change that save some grief for those working with the mobile testing units...

Not had a look recently and as I have not pulled the sP01 apart; not sure if a mod is possible...

Just putting it out there for possible review for future changes :)

I did have a look at some form of power switch/socket combo but physically they wont fit on the board. Its very limited for space. I think you will also find that although its drawing a 1A charge, you still would have plenty of power if you leave it on over night. The charge circuit I use is constant current draw so even if its just topping up the battery it will still draw a bit of current. Only when its nearly fully charged will it drop a little.

All good...

The unit appeared to be working well but after on all night...

I was not headding out with out topping up... nothing worse than assuming and then needing and discovering things not working...

AngerManagement said:
All good...

The unit appeared to be working well but after on all night...

I was not headding out with out topping up... nothing worse than assuming and then needing and discovering things not working...

Just plug it into a vehicle USB when heading out. That'll give it enough juice for a day's swinging.

I've been using the SP01 for about 6 months now and have become so used to using it that I consider it part of the detector. have gone over old ground that I done previously and have found small slugs that would have been easily missed before. the other day found a small nugget about 2 grams that gave the faintest of signals. it was eventually found under a log that I'm sure would not have been found without this unit

I usually have it set on 1

have also noticed it stays charged for ages, outlasting my detector battery and it doesnt take long to re-charge

I had the Spo1 for a week now and have been playing on the beaches for around Eight hours, on the Whites TDI Oz pro.
Targets have been a bit thin on the ground but the pieces have have dug (mostly small bits of copper sheet) have been deep and anything less than seven inches have been very clear.
I will get back out to Clermont at the end of this week to run on hot ground.

Matt T

Just got mine on sat, hope to play around with it this week on the gpx 4800. Also wanted to find out will the Spo1 work on the gm1000 or the equinox 800? I havent seen any posts about this and wasnt sure if its compatible with vlfs.

Thanks!

Just had to send mine back as it wont hold the charge will see what happens not blaming or bagging them these things happen .

Went over an old patch using filter 3. Was using normal timings. RX-15 (gpx4500) audio - boost, stabilizer-1, threshold barely audible. Without filter 3 it would've been impossible to hear anything from the ground noise. I've worked this patch to death using every setting possible and 6 different coils. I pinged a 2.3gm and a 0.34gm at good depth id missed before. On the 2.3gm one, I knew it was gold so I tried a few different timings/settings before I dug it up. Enhance didn't hear it at all (using the same settings and ground balancing). Turning the stabilizer up to 20 made a slight improvement but not enough to worry me running it at 1 to calm down the machine a bit. Overall I'm very happy with the SP01 and mainly stick to filter 1 but when on a known patch that's pretty much done over you have nothing to lose so why not max the machine out and go for it.

Pirate pete said:
Just had to send mine back as it wont hold the charge will see what happens not blaming or bagging them these things happen .

Sorry to hear you have an issue. All the units go through 2 full charge /discharge cycles before they leave here. Batteries/charge circuits can fail but I haven't had any come back for that issue yet.

Who did you send it back too? As soon as I see it I'll get it sorted and straight back to you.

regards
Pat

PG-Prospecting said:
Just got mine on sat, hope to play around with it this week on the gpx 4800. Also wanted to find out will the Spo1 work on the gm1000 or the equinox 800? I havent seen any posts about this and wasnt sure if its compatible with vlfs.

Thanks!

The sP01 will work on any machine that has a headphone socket. Although the enhancement feature of the sP01 wont be as prominent on a VLF machine. It will act more like a standard booster and lift the volume.

regards
Pat

Latest posts