⭐ Show Us Your Cut Stones - Before And After Photos

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wally69 said:
Finally finished cutting my first decent Queensland sapphire from the Reward Gemfield, I cant seem to find the before photo but it presented as a green/yellow party sapphire. The stock was about 3.5ct and it had a bad shape and a few inclusion that I tried to orientate to be vertical through the centre of the stone and another close to the girdle. The yield suffered as a result and a couple of overcuts requiring rectification didnt help either :8

It started out life as a standard brilliant but I introduced a small step cut in the pavilion in an attempt to keep a bit of extra depth. The crown is also modified due the operator being a bit too aggressive with such small facets and a star facet index error in the finishing stages of the cut :mad: resulted in a rectification that introduced an extra 8 step facets between them. I quite like them though as they create a defined star in the top of the stone.

After focussing at it through a magnifying glass for the past week, it seemed much bigger than the 0.9ct result. Good thing is, I have now proven that I can cut sub-carat stones. :party:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...4632_fd73a072-5fe6-493c-b35e-c9205be09b24.jpg

Wally, apart from the first 2 words and the last one, I didn't understand a word :lol:

Awesome job on that stone!! :Y: :cool:

5.9ct Rose Quartz (with micro-needles that look awesome ........... under a loupe) :D
1529397640_211ba0f7-f1ce-46a7-befa-5b3f2cc1d182.jpg

1529397640_bae8b309-a77f-4117-b80e-077e228ea7f1.jpg

Not the clearest of stones but hey who cares, looks good mate, I reckon your cutting is getting better with each stone. You're going to end up with a great collection over the coming years. Wish I had the patience to do it, I sort of do but my eyes would let me down I reckon.

That looks quite nice. I like it. I have a large lump of rose quartz also that I was considering faceting. That has given me the impetus to do so. :Y:

It gives you an idea why Kashmir sapphires are so attractive. That sleepy, velvety intense blue colour. 'Micro needles" can make something quite unique.

Another nice job there Wally :Y:

It gives you an idea why Kashmir sapphires are so attractive. That sleepy, velvety intense blue colour. 'Micro needles" can make something quite unique.

Yep, the silk is actually considered to enhance them. I guess it's very fine and very evenly dispersed, silk in our stones is often in thick bands. I cut some stones I think came from Glenalva that had that look about them, although they were a light green-aqua colour.

All the forum chatter regarding gems raining from the sky and red birthstones has inspired my choice for the next stones to go under the wheel.

They will by first green olivine/peridot and rich red garnet, so am keen to see how they turn out. 8)

I have taken the before shot after cleaning up some external cracks and discolouration and thought I would share it before I lost it.

The stones are reasonably clean, but thinking there will be at least one inclusion in the peridot as I will be aiming for +5mm squares from these ones.

1529657416_3ef7acd8-f54a-43c8-9e86-7f63bdc3f592.jpg