Advice on a pinpointer

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I was in your situation, I would buy PF35. It looks reliable. They have been making detectors for much longer than XPs and they know better. I bought MI-6 and absolutely love it, I wished they have not chosen design over practicality. I damaged mine after 2 days!
1529451479_img_20180529_194236_edit.jpg

It probably got caught in the holster which now I don`t use. Of course I supa glued already. I bought it because I was going to buy Deus later on. That was only reason. If XP have not released MI6, I would have bought Carrot orange.

But I noticed many owns few pinpointers so It is not bad thing owning few as backup... :mad:

Hi , Ive just got a X-terra 705 and its got a ripper pinpointer but once you get down digging up your target its a real pain getting up and down.... I seen lots of pin pointers for sale on eBay and the price seems to vary quite a lot from $50 to upwards of $300 !
My question is how accurate or do the cheapest ones even work , also I only do a couple of hours here and there just shooting coins atm and budget is tight , thanks in advance!

We get what we pay for if its cheap. That said I started a year ago with a $60 jaycar pinpointer. I still have it and it works fine But... it drives my CTX crazy and I have to place the CTX coil 2m away to not interfere with each other while checking the hole. It says its water proof - its not. The power switch started playing up after 6 months of heavy use but Jaycar replaced unit under warranty. It doesnt have sensitivity control which isn't usually a problem except when you dig a narrow hole and cant tell which side the target is on. It eats 9V batteries every 2 weeks of use... So it is acceptable for surface coin shooting in dry conditions on occasion if you dont mind dropping into Jaycar for a replacement unit every so often.... it is my backup unit now that I have found enough loot to buy a "professional " unit for $180.

Thanks Gizmo I might keep getting up and down for now..... lol until I save my money, Does your new one set of your mt ? and I never even thought about the two things setting off the other .

I got the nockta RS works as good as the Garrett but it's not water proof..$130 new...I've had it about 2 years and it's worked hard..No issues yet :Y:

The new Xpointer is pulse induction so the effect is MUCH less but yes still need to maintain a 1 meter clearance which is natural after a while. Might be ok with less but dont want to risk digging in the wrong spot. Great unit from Phase technical in Adelaide. Lion rechargeable with USB and 60M waterproof. All the bells and whistles except discrimination which my detector does for me :) Keep an eye out for a second hand unit or just go out a few more times to pay for a reasonable unit.

Mate of mine bought a cheap one and found afterwards that it vibrated the same rate all the way in to the target once it had located it. So of course it was useless and he still had to borrow mine anyway.... you see... it would not pinpoint with any degree of accuracy at all... it would only suggest that the target was somewhere abouts either in the hole or in the plug... but not exactly where it was. :|

I managed to get a good secondhand Minelab pro-find 25 on this forum for $75 as a gift for my father. A good unit will save you time, frustration, big holes and get you more goodies. Well worth spending a little more or waiting for a deal.

Anger Management.

Just wondering if you have decided to sell your PF35? Very interested if available.

cheers,
Wayne

Thankyou Dr Duck, looks like a good unit. I did, however, end up getting a Profind 35 but will keep the Deteknix one in mind as I really want to grab another Nox for the missus to swing with me. Hopefully, others looking for a pinpointer can use this thread to give them some piece of mind. There were a couple of other threads but they were 2 and 3 years old and it's amazing how fast tech changes in a short period of time.

I'm really happy with the Profind, but I wish Minelab could have opted for a lithium ion/polymer battery as I suddenly ran out of charge on the supplied 9v while digging a target the other week. I was really lucky, I called into Woolies on the way home and they had some Energizer Eco Advanced AA/AAA batteries on clearance for nix, like $2-3 something a pack, someone had accidentally marked down a stack of Energizer Lithium Ultimate 9v/Max Plus Advanced 9v for the same prices. I grabbed a heap of them as the Lithium ones are normally $16 each and I think $8 for the other one, went back the next day thinking I should get some more and the price was fixed hehe :p

I won't get caught out again!

ctxkid said:
The profind will hit 8cm down in soil, nonother pointer i know of will do that
Hi Ctxkid

Just wondering what model Profind your talking about? As 8cm is pretty impressive!.
Ive got a deteknix Xpointer its a fantastic pinpointer very sensitive on small bits of gold
and picks up coins and other items from a great distance away but its a PI pinpointer and
she chews through the 9V batteries, but it doesnt like the Equinox it makes the Nox Very chatty
as soon as it turned on within around 3 meters!, it never doesnt do it on my Whites MXT All Pro
though.
So very interested in what yours is perhaps it might be time for an upgrade and dose it interfere
with the Nox at all?.

Cheers mate

dirtdiggin said:
Ive got a deteknix Xpointer its a fantastic pinpointer very sensitive on small bits of gold
and picks up coins and other items from a great distance away but its a PI pinpointer and
she chews through the 9V batteries, but it doesnt like the Equinox it makes the Nox Very chatty
as soon as it turned on within around 3 meters!, it never doesnt do it on my Whites MXT All Pro
though.
So very interested in what yours is perhaps it might be time for an upgrade and dose it interfere
with the Nox at all?.

Cheers mate

Best to use good quality rechargeable 9Vs for the standard Xpointers.

Re interference, it's the MultiIQ that it'll be reacting to. Try your Nox in some of the single frequency options and you'll see how much closer
you can get. But you can improve it a lot, simply turn your Xpointer on and place it on the ground when doing your Noise Cancel on the Nox.
Can make a big difference in how close you can get it to your coil.

Interesting reading. I bought a Pistolprobe pinpointer from US some years ago. Quite good. Have to turn the sensitivity down to pinpoint as it detects metal further away than you would expect. Once adjusted, pinpoints really well. The battery cover hinge is plastic and breaks but I welded a lug back on with a soldering iron and it works again. Takes 2 X 9v batteries which last a long time. Causes huge interference with my SDC2300 but might be resolved by EMI process on startup if switch on pointer to continuous before I start up the detector.

dirtdiggin said:
ctxkid said:
The profind will hit 8cm down in soil, nonother pointer i know of will do that
Hi Ctxkid

Just wondering what model Profind your talking about? As 8cm is pretty impressive!.
though.
with the Nox at all?.

Cheers mate
minelab profind35 :perfect: design as to not interfere

Latest posts