Detecting on leases

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys.
Being a total newbie , was wondering if any people or companies that have claims will let you detect on them for a fee or a percentage of anything you find .they seem to do it on all the gold shows on tv, but what's the go in real life

The only way to find out is to ask.
You may get many knock backs before you get a yes.
Also depends on the state your looking to prospect.

I find most farmers and land owners are becoming increasingly non-respondent due to others not doing the right thing. Some are allowing you to camp, subject to leaving the place how you found it and others are happy for you to prospect as long as you shut the gates and not interfere with their stock or fences.

If you live in the area you have a better chance of getting a positive response, as long as the farmer knows you.

You can,t really compare arrangements here in Australia with the normal practice in the USA, were it has been common for lease / claim owners to allow others onto their lease for the purpose of prospecting etc. Small scale Miners in the US outside of Alaska are now ending up in the same situation as us here with the green lobby restricting their activities and leases getting harder to get etc.

In Australia especially outside of WA it is very hard to get a lease, due to red tape, high expenses and very long delays in getting it all in order.
I would say most lease owners would not want people on their lease for many reasons, ( Possible legal implications of someone getting injured on the lease, honesty in gold found ) etc. These days with the U Tube promotions you could get a guest prospector telling the world about where your lease is and how rich it may be which could attract unwanted attention.

If i had a lease i would not be allowing any prospecting on it by others, not negotiable, end of story. ]:D

Thanks guys. I was thinking about the bigger companies as they seem to have lots of big leases and offering gps coordinates of any gold found detecting that might help them with where to get their machinery in for the big stuff. Might be a long shot but wouldn't hurt to ask i suppose