Minelab SDC2300 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Baldy said:
Good to see you back in the hunt..Really I never use headphones..When running on 5 the vol is loud enough for me..Nice to have that freedom and not connected with leads..Looks like were off to Tib next week..Hope the flys are gone..Cheers..
Cheers for the tips mate also Im off to tib in abouts a months time

This poll is related to hearing frequency and whether you prefer high or low tones on the SDC2300.

The aim is to gather data to see if there is a correlation between using high or low tones and hearing Yanny or Laurel.

If you have no idea what Yanny or Laurel is, it's an audio illusion that people perceive differently.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yanny_or_Laurel

[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X_WvGAhMlQ[/video]

[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3km896XZ-J0[/video]

That freaks me out BIG time. I played it once & heard Yanny & could not understand how & why Laurel got a mention. I then listened to the dialog between the girl & the boffin & played the first one again & clearly heard Laurel & could not understand how or where I got the Yanny from.
Rob.

I had a play with that clip in my audio recording/mixing software and got my friend to listen. Firstly i set up a high pass eq filter at about 8khz and my friend still heard Yanni, I then put on a low pass filter at 300hz and she heard Laurel.

I did the same for myself numerous times and could not make myself hear Yanni no matter what I did.

Seems some people are more susceptible to this "audio illusion" than others. It's all down to the perceived result of what is being played.

G'day. I made a leather knuckle protector held on with zip ties but, someone on here made one from a car tube rubber I think which is a better idea as it wouldn't stay wet. Not sure why you want to alter the battery set up as it's fine the way it is. Just put some tape around them to stop the moving around and possibly shutting down.

While I have seen people with purpose built knuckle protectors, I have seen a simple protector made from an old stubbie holder. They cut out the bottom and made a cut lengthways, wrapped it around the knuckle and put a bit of electrical tape around it to keep it in place.

Lithium iron sold on Ebay ... said to last longer and charge faster ...Plastic Knuckle a bit pricy at $30

1531806659_sdc_lithium.jpg

1531806674_sdc_knuckle.jpg

I made my knuckle protector out of a rubber tow ball protector I had lying around and zip ties. Still going strong after 15 months of hard use.

I recommend Nenad's AccuPower cells, they are 6000mAh, last 8-9 hrs on a charge. http://phasetechnical.com.au/product/c-cell-nimh-6000-mah-suit-minelab-sdc-2300/

If you want to go the Li-Ion route and risk voiding your warranty you can 3D print or make your own spacers to use 18650's, instructions abound on the internet.

When it comes to depth the density of the dirt seems to be a factor. I found a spoon that was vertical in riverbank sand over 400mm deep and the signal screamed. The horizontal profile was not all that big. I have only used my new (second-hand purchase) SDC once and this was at Hill End. I didn't detect gold but found more wire and nails than a hardware store and more horseshoes than the Melbourne Cup. Some of the nails and wire were quite small and deep but I was impressed with the SDC's ability to find targets. I know it was designed to find small gold but it will clearly find the bigger ones as well. Sure it is not a GPX or GPZ, but when you consider price, folded size and detecting ability, it's a winner.

They are a fantastic bit of kit for sure.
Going out again this weekend to the patch and I
will be doing a careful comparo with a new style
of GPX coil that is coming out shortly.
Going to be interesting for sure.

Hey Trash I reckon that dealer may have just been attempting to beat up their sales. I have seen this marketing ploy elsewhere ... car dealers use it a fair bit, often its only a few dollars, if at all.
So here we are in late July & Ive seen SDC's advertised for around the $3.5k - $3.75k mark! Miners Den currently advertising them online for $3490. Go figure!

I have had an sdc for about 4 months and have never belived it to be right I cant run it on 3 4 5 without out it jumping around and sounding like a mozzie drag race I noise cancel have tried to ground balance still to no luck at 50cm wont even pick up my pick I have been out with other sdc owners and they don't seem to have problems running high on the same ground I have cleaned the coil and only run minelab batterys I have tried over targets that other machines can pick up and I hear nothing and then the next time I use it I can find the smallest piece of metal down 10 cm no bigger than 3mm in size any thoughts