Hi All

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hiya

My husband Grant seems to have been bitten by the gold bug and 'dragged' me out fossicking over the long weekend - found heaps of metal, just not the nice and shiny kind :) :) It was a cold weekend, but we had a good time anyway.

Looking at buying a X-Terra 705, as he usually just hires a detector. Has anyone got any feedback on this particular model?

Cant wait to get out there and actually find something. We are from Bacchus Marsh and travel to wherever. We usually take the caravan and dogs and go for a long weekend. Hopefully we will get to meet up with some like minded people

Hi Sue and Grant welcome to the forum and a great life style the 705 is a great little treasure detector and I can vouch for that what have you hired befor
Roy

Welcome Sue & Grant, always good to see someone new being bitten by the gold fever bug ..... pleasant enough pastime even when not finding gold .... if I had a van I'd probably never get home (retirement has its benefits).

In regard to detectors, especially when searching for gold I'd recommend spending a few extra dollars and go for something more specifically suited to gold than the Xterra, I have an xterra 705 gold pack but have not found gold with it, I also use the SDC and a GPX ..... most of my gold has been found with the SDC. The Xterra is great at the beach or looking for relics.

As the SDC and GOX are a bit pricier than the Xterra an option may be the Gold Monster or a similar unit (Fisher Gold Bug?) ..... a few are using these with great success (check out FB), but like everything they are not suited to all goldfields.

Keep researching, ask questions and settle on what you believe you will get most use from, hiring is a good option to try out the different detectors, don't rush your decision ...... most of all have fun out there.

Cheers T.

1528873489_welcome.jpg

Hi and welcome to PA, great bunch on here with a wealth of information. Pretty new to it all myself but if I could advise you if your after gold get a gold specific detector, spend what you can afford but keep in mind the newer models have improved technology that keeps you ahead of the pack. It is the new technology that keeps people finding gold, more depth (Gpz7000) and ability to find smaller gold (sdc2300) just two improvements.
Cheers Jamie

G'day. As above, if you want gold buy a gold detector. I'd probably avoid the equinox. As a fellow newbie I'm not having any luck gold detecting with it but it is a great machine on the beach or in parks looking for coins and relics. Good luck ?

Welcome to the addiction Sue&Grant.
Best advice I can offer is to get 10 post or more up on the forum so the system allows you to access the members only area ..
Wealth of information as well as the member meet up section..!

Thank you for the info - would love to meet up with like minded people.
Grant is the detector holder, I am the drink bottle, shovel, empty jar and anything else carrier :p
ooo - secret members only area - better get posting :)

Welcome

I am sure you will see lots of posts on the different detectors available and peoples opinions.

Happy to see you enjoyed detecting on that cold weekend.

Once things progress, it would be good to see finds etc.

Latest posts