The bank isn't taking your hard found damaged coins and notes??

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ColinD said:
I think I read that 1 and 2cent coins are still legal tender... can you pay a parking fine with a couple of thousand of them? 8)

There is a video online somewhere, i think it was in Queensland, anyway this man goes to council offices to pay a number of unpaid parking tickets with a bucket of 5 cent pieces and the lady behind the counter rudely refuses to take them? He just tips them on the counter and says debt is settled, SO FUNNY! :lol:

It says in the rules linked to that you can only present 1&2cent coins up to a value of 20c, but also only $20 if using $2 coins... so if a parking fine is a debt, you should be able to pay with BB's no?
Give me time to get a ticket and I'll try, sick of finding those bloody things. :mad: :lol: :lol:
C

Swinging & digging said:
ColinD said:
I think I read that 1 and 2cent coins are still legal tender... can you pay a parking fine with a couple of thousand of them? 8)

There is a video online somewhere, i think it was in Queensland, anyway this man goes to council offices to pay a number of unpaid parking tickets with a bucket of 5 cent pieces and the lady behind the counter rudely refuses to take them? He just tips them on the counter and says debt is settled, SO FUNNY! :lol:
[video=480,360]http://youtu.be/jrw7i1SqJnM[/video]

Most banks crack a fruity if you try and deposit large amounts of unbagged coins over the counter. I always ask for a load of free coin bags, and bag them up prior to deposit - never really had an issue in the past. As long as it comes up with the correct weight for the number of bagged coins, they will deal with any slightly disfigured or bent coins at a later date and take them out of circulation.

Not your problem once the funds have been deposited into your account.

If dealing with a large amount of oxidised or dirty coins on a regular basis, a coin/rock tumbler might be in order vs cleaning individual coins. :)

Makes for good video but legally the debt wouldn't be settled unless paid for in legal tender, which coins are not past a certain value.
The main thing is to get yourself a receipt.

Goldpick said:
Most banks crack a fruity if you try and deposit large amounts of unbagged coins over the counter. I always ask for a load of free coin bags, and bag them up prior to deposit - never really had an issue in the past. As long as it comes up with the correct weight for the number of bagged coins, they will deal with any slightly disfigured or bent coins at a later date and take them out of circulation.

Not your problem once the funds have been deposited into your account.

If dealing with a large amount of oxidised or dirty coins on a regular basis, a coin/rock tumbler might be in order vs cleaning individual coins. :)
Verbatim this what I did, no mower clipped etc. Bagged and tagged. As an update the bank provided an apology letter and is sending the branch "further instructions" on processing and receiving coins but reserved the right to "disallow" any significantly damaged ones. Fair enough.
Woolies has possibly added extra cameras at self serve due to hundreds of dollars of filthy coins being deposited lately. Works a charm. Thanks to the person again who made the suggestion it's bloody nice giving them some grief back.

Ive just put 85 20c pieces into the self service teller at woolworths without any complaints.... A few had been under the mower which I had to hammer straight. Not one rejected.

Any badly damaged coins I find these days just end up in a damaged coin jar, one bank tried to make me fill out a mutilated coin form and basically it would have been a nightmare.

The fact that damaged currency is sent off shore is absolutely ridiculous.

I took a load of 1 & 2 buck coins into the bank and they said they wont take them dirty. These wernt even that bad. Their excuse was that the reserve bank wont take them off the back once they get them off me. I argued it that its legal tender etc but no go. O then pissed off all the servo's in the area using it all for petrol $50 at a time haha

The law is the law.... They do not have to take if dirty and shops and businesses have a right to refuse any coin if over a certain number of coins. All detailed in the Regs and Legislation

People want to pay $20 in loose 5c pieces and I was a shop... I would tell you to F Off and go to the bank...

I have had $100 purchase refused and I had $2 :)

I wash all my silvers in battery acid and then rince... No luster but all nice and silver looking :) Even when they jam a coin counter at the bank... No problems as they look clean ...

Did have one teller say they had a person trying deposit coins and the machine almost had a fit... Bent / Twisted / Dirty and some covered in sand and "Rust" - I laughed to my self and thought some one is a fool and will spoil it for the rest of us...

Apparently the coin counter was off line for a while due to "dirt" and other odd bits....

WASH ya coins and remove the bent ones for cash payment or use when weighing and bagging... How hard is it for some to use a bit of "Common" Sense these day ...

I've never had a problem with slightly tarnished goldies or bent ones... I just bag em and deposit them... No worries or fuss....Every bank is different though and it is lucky that I sparked up a conversation with the Heavily Tattooed teller who is my go to person when I do make deposits.

:Y: :Y: :Y:

Latest posts