Home made rock crusher

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gday all crushed some old specie rocks we had and then run the powder through my modified sluce very happy with the results was not even a full 5lite bucket every top riffle had fine gold also carpet caught some gold you might have to enlarge photo to see very fine gold cheers muk
1528116434_649eea8f-6c5b-41ae-a027-58b2bb006f9f.jpg

1528116434_85b6e9dd-5c57-4df0-82ae-304b40d2b465.jpg

Cheers for the comments have collected quite a few rocks from areas we have been getting gold will put them through the crusher and see what results we get great to see others are doing the same best of luck cheers Muk.

MUK...question for you. do think there is an advantage on making a flat plate , say eight side or ten side , instead of round pipe shape, I know its easyer but could it be an advantage in any way...cheers.

Not to sure junkdog but I think it may have extra room inside so you may get some more build up that stays inside the crusher in the corners I have seen some on YouTube this shape and they seemed to work ok I think it would be a lot more work welding plates together for that style of crusher if you decide to go for it all the best cheers Muk.

Gday goldierocks it is steel chain links inside my crusher they spin driven by a 9inch grinder for the motor the rocks get pulverised by the links and come out of the crusher in a powder form and I then put the powder through my sluice cheers Muk.

Looks pretty good for small throughput. Seems to be a cross between grinding and crushing. Just wondered if free-rolling steel balls might need less servicing than the chain.

Chain holds up well and only takes 15minutes to change out I have a spare shaft made up ready to go just undo the grinder connection then undo 4grub screws remove shaft put spare in do up grub screws connect grinder ready to go then refurb used shaft at your lesure and have it ready to go I also have some different link designs I will try out sometime but links seem to work just fine cheers Muk.

goldierocks said:
Looks pretty good for small throughput. Seems to be a cross between grinding and crushing. Just wondered if free-rolling steel balls might need less servicing than the chain.

ball mills wouldn't work well at all for hand size bits of quartz it would just make the quartz into round bowling balls you need a primary crusher like a hammer mill or jaw crusher or stamp battery to get it down in size then you can use a secondary crusher like a disk crusher grinder or a ball mill with mercury to get 95% gold recovery out of the stone.

Hunting the yellow said:
goldierocks said:

ball mills wouldn't work well at all for hand size bits of quartz it would just make the quartz into round bowling balls you need a primary crusher like a hammer mill or jaw crusher or stamp battery to get it down in size then you can use a secondary crusher like a disk crusher grinder or a ball mill with mercury to get 95% gold recovery out of the stone.
Agreed for large sizes - I assumed the feed was already quite small because the machine was small. Keep away from mercury (toxic stuff), water-gravity will usually work.

goldierocks said:
Hunting the yellow said:
goldierocks said:

Agreed for large sizes - I assumed the feed was already quite small because the machine was small. Keep away from mercury (toxic stuff), water-gravity will usually work.

only toxic if you eat it or don't wear gloves and a gas/dust mask or be really stupid and burn it off under an open flame and breathe in the fumes/vapours not in a sealed retort.

Hunting the yellow said:
goldierocks said:
Hunting the yellow said:
goldierocks said:

only toxic if you eat it or don't wear gloves and a gas/dust mask or be really stupid and burn it off under an open flame and breathe in the fumes/vapours not in a sealed retort.
All of which are common among users I have found. Then there are the issues of possession in this age of terrorism:

https://www.theage.com.au/national/...ssing-tasers-and-mercury-20151120-gl46tj.html

He most likely would have got in trouble due to having mercury and explosives recipes on his computer, I don't think it's illegal to have for other reasons though, I may be wrong of course.... But yes, very nasty stuff.

Gday all Im only into crushing a few rocks and my crusher does that well I wont be needing any of the other gear your talking about cheers Muk.

Muk said:
Gday all Im only into crushing a few rocks and my crusher does that well I wont be needing any of the other gear your talking about cheers Muk.
Be Careful Muk, Its a slippery slope this "only crushing a few rocks " I started out with a dolly pot to just crush a bit of quartz and now have a rod mill, an impact/flail mill and a Jaw crusher. and the basics of a shaker / wilfley table that I must get finished. :| :Y:

No worries jethro I know what you mean but I wont be adding to my crusher its just something I can do at home when I cant get out detecting cheers Muk.

Latest posts